Centerboard question

Drexel

Feb 18, 2020
O'day O'day 23 Charlotte, VT
When my 23 Oday was pulled in the fall, I was informed that the centerboard is gone. Now trying to order a new one and see that some boats use wedges and plates with the centerboard. What do wedges and plates do and do I need them on my 23? Thanks in advance. Drexel.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I'm pretty sure this is standard for all O'days, certainly the 192 and 222. Yours may be different, 'cos I don't have experience with a 23.

But anyway, the centerboard uses a Delrin axle that slides through the board, and up into pockets on both sides of the inside of the CB trunk. These are wedge shaped, and similar Delrin wedges are glued up into the pockets with 3M 4200 or similar. Then, there are stainless bars that go across the bottom of the wedges and bolt up into the bottom of the keel. If you search the Daysailers section of the O'day forums on this site, you should find some posts with pictures. Pretty sure I've seen them before.

Drexel

Feb 18, 2020
Thanks for the info, I can picture it now, ana it explains why I could not see any round Mark's on the outside of the keel where I thought the ends of the pin would be. As I never got to see inside the trunk and what might be left up there, if you have pictures of the inside of the trunk it would help to see them. It's amazing anyone would take pics of that. Thanks to both, Drexel

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Curious... but is the centerboard on the O'day 23 part of the ballast system?

And was your boat still able to sail without its centerboard?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I dont believe the c/b is part of the ballast system on the 23. I think, but don't know for sure, that it uses the same board as the 25. My c/b weighs about 50lbs. I sailed it last year without and have heard of a number of others that have done the same.

I'm not sure how much these will help you but here are a few pics of my centerboard being rebuilt. The blue rudder in the background is for a different boat

2019-05-09 20.00.58.jpg2019-05-09 20.01.03.jpgcb.jpegM9nx9yJj.jpegU8dYFS1-.jpegwywuWE2L.jpegyqHsJQdp.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
I dont believe the c/b is part of the ballast system on the 23. I think, but don't know for sure, that it uses the same board as the 25. My c/b weighs about 50lbs. I sailed it last year without and have heard of a number of others that have done the same
So how do you get lateral resistance? Is there a keelson trunk that helps a little or what. I don't know this boat so I'm asking out of ignorance.

Jan 19, 2010
Ah never mind.

I just looked it up and I see it has an underwater trunk.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida

The Center Board is not a weighed keel. The ballast that keeps the boat upright is in the water tank. As far as sailing, the boat can still sail but will not point very well. The purpose of the center board is to reduce the drift induced by the sail plan.

Drexel

Feb 18, 2020

Yes, my 23 has a weighted half keel from which the centerboard descends. I took it out a few times without the cb ( I thought the line had come off as the line had no weight when pulled on.) It sailed fine, but I was never in heavy weather and my wife is now nervous about another season coming up.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Yes, O'days are all lead ballast. The "stub keel" holds the ballast. Centerboard lowers from keel to provide lateral plane and lift for sailing to windward. Any point of sail closer to the wind than maybe a beam reach needs the centerboard, otherwise you'd make excessive leeway. I always pull my board up off the wind - less drag. In winds light enough that the boat won't make hull speed, because it's smaller (less wetted area drag) and I can lift centerboard, I have beat 23' boats with fin keels on downwind runs. If there's enough wind that they can go faster than my 5.5ish knot hull speed, they'll beat me.

The centerboard on a typical O'day doesn't add to ballast in any appreciable manner; it's weighted only to give negative buoyancy so that the board will actually go down all the way.