CENTERBOARD PIVOT PIN AND BRACKET

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NEWGATE13

Hi, I removed my centerboard from my 1997 MACGREGOR 26X (MACX1115K697) while it was on the trailer to apply bottom paint. I removed the hanger bracket and pivot pin and cleaned off the rust, paint and marine debris. The bracket and the pin showed signs of rust and severe electrolytic corrosion. The pin is so badly corroded that I am replacing it with a stainless steel bolt and elastic stop nut. The original pivot pin appears to be a plain steel chrome plated pin which is very attracted to a magnet. The hanger bracket is weakly magnet attracted and the hanger mount bolt and the new stainless bolt are not magnet attracted. I'm not sure how much the magnet test is valid as a stainless test as I believe some stainless is weakly magnet attracted. The main point here is CHECK YOUR PIVOT PIN AND HANGER BRACKET as often as you can. I'll try to include a picture of my pin and bracket as an attachment jpg. Paul

C

Curtiss Grant

Hmmmm

Oppsss, I have to confess that you lost me there, and I assume, others as well. Therefore, would please go into more detail and explain the situation. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.