• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

CENTERBOARD HELP

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 MD
So way back when, before Covid19, I asked the forum for anyone who might have personal knowledge with an O'Day 30 CB
Some folks replied, but since sending PM's out, no one has replied
My CB is stuck in the stored position (Up). I understand that it is easiest to drop the board when on the hard. But to educate myself, I have a bunch of questions, so here goes.....
How long and how wide is the CB?
How high do I need to have the boat to be able to have the CB clear when its dropped?
How much does it weigh?
Is it made of steel?
Are the bolts holding in the brackets, hex head, Philips head or slotted. And what are they made of.
Do the bolts come out easily or do I need to apply heat?
Once the CB is removed, how does one manage to clean and paint the inside of the Keel?
What does one do, barrier coat and then ablative or hard bottom paint on the inside of the Keel?
Is there generally a lot of slop with the pin.
And last of all, how much do folks use the CB when sailing?

If anyone can help me, please PM me through the Forum, thanks.

Apr 2, 2021
O'Day 32 CC Sarasota
I'm just posting for moral support. Hoping that you find the answers you are looking for. My 32CC (new to me) has a broken cable.

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 MD
@SlicRic
Thanks for that. No answers from anyone yet. Maybe this will be a super adventure and the answers will be found after much trial and error.
Question then: Is your centerboard in the down position?

Apr 2, 2021
O'Day 32 CC Sarasota
@twodzusfittings
My cable snapped at the board. You can barely see a few steel strands in the photos from the diver. It isn't stuck and pivots freely so it is down. Or "was" actually as we used ratchet straps to hold it up so we can sail it from one slip to another. I was hoping an underwater cable replacement with a shackle or something could be done but it appears to be molded into the board itself, requiring a haul-out.
DSCF0573.JPG

DSCF0574.JPG

Attachments

Apr 2, 2021
O'Day 32 CC Sarasota
Back to your vessel. I can help with two questions.
I see on gjenvick.com that your draft with the CB down is 7'2". Considering the draft with the board up is 3'6" then you will need to have the boat lifted at least another 3'8" below the lowest point.
On a reach, in high winds, the board down will keep you pointed where as the board up will allow the wind to cause you to drift from your pointed direction. Check this out.

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 MD
so I found this on the web. But my boat is five feet longer. Really looking for answers to my question. I wont need to raise the boat as high as Slic Ric suggests.