center board .

PDW

Aug 24, 2018
Hunter 240 Lake Monroe
i see a crack up the front of my center board while on the trailer. is this a problem or is the centerboard two boards attached to each other?

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Wood centerboards are normally strips cut and laid opposite of each other to relieve strain and prevent warping. They are then encapsulated in epoxy and sometimes fiberglass cloth.
In your case, I think it is a problem whether the centerboard is two boards or not. I cannot imagine the maker intended for there to be a crack. It sounds like you are going to need to remove it and investigate.

Pictures are important in these cases. There are A LOT of skilled sailboat fabricators available here to help you.

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
Depending on your boat, your centerboard may be a foam core sandwiched between fiberglass.

You’ll want to address that before it splits. Grind it down, reinforce the edge with fiberglass, and you’re good to go for a long time. You’ll have to let the foam core dry out before doing the glass work so you don’t trap moisture in there.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
If it is a foam cored rudder you'll want to address this before the winter so It doesn't split and possibly freeze itself inside the centerboard trunk

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Your bio indicates a 26m. Are you talking about the Hunter 26/260 or a MacGregor 26M? If the MacGregor 26M, I use to be s MacGregor dealer and I thought it was a dagger board that was raised up and down by hand that was designed for water inside that dagger board.

As mentioned photos are needed and which boat you are referring to which will help to advise on repair

PDW

Aug 24, 2018
Hunter 240 Lake Monroe
Your bio indicates a 26m. Are you talking about the Hunter 26/260 or a MacGregor 26M? If the MacGregor 26M, I use to be s MacGregor dealer and I thought it was a dagger board that was raised up and down by hand that was designed for water inside that dagger board.

As mentioned photos are needed and which boat you are referring to which will help to advise on repair
bio was before purchase... have Hunter 240

PDW

Aug 24, 2018
Hunter 240 Lake Monroe
20190724_151713.jpg
picture of drop center board. Drop dagger board? Not sure wath it is called

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Holy sh*t! Ruddercraft's HDPE centerboard is $1700

Rudder Craft is proud to offer a HDPE Center Board for your Hunter 240. Solid stainless steel bar and pivot web which is encapsulated between two pieces of High Density Polyethylene and cut with a true NACA airfoil, to reduce drag and create lift.

This center board comes with a life time warranty to original purchaser.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
That doesnt look too bad. Grind down the fiberglass until the cracks are gone (solid material) and fill back in. Ideally you'd want a 12:1 width to depth ratio for your grind. This might not be possible in this case. I'd also recommend doing this in smaller sections so you end up with as close to the original shape as possible. Im sure others with more experience than myself will chime in

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You have an additional problem which we need to talk. Send me a private message with phone number so we can talk. Introduced the boat for Hunter

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Mmmmm. It looks like more than just a crack. It looks like it is impacting the top of the trunk when lowered. Listen to Dave. I think you may have another problem. Perhaps it is not locking down properly and swinging fore and aft.
Good picture. It helped.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
I think those keel bunks may have been replaced with the wrong size lumber- they look way too thick and some of weight of the boat is now supported on the centerboard (not recommended). The original keel bunks were 3/4" marine plywood I think- but you could use 1x6 deck boards too if they fit. Should be no weight on the centerboard when loaded.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Spoke with @PDW yesterday. What I saw and could be the problem was the centerboard was being pressed down into on this Magic Tilt trailer keel tray suggesting raising the bunk boards as seen on other trailers by me and corrected. He plans to take the boat and lift it to make sure it did not split down on the front on the centerboard. We also discussed how to repair but gave him the name as to know how to repair it properly. I also advised construction of the centerboard.

I asked him to report back repair results. Also incorporate @caverun comments as they are applicable here as well. Thank you Caverun.
Dave

PDW

Aug 24, 2018
Hunter 240 Lake Monroe
Update. Have found a place that has the ability and knowledge to help. Will be taking boat and trailer on Monday. We are contemplating adding / laminating another board to the bunks. Additionally changing keel bunk to 3/4 marine grade plyboard.

Side note the guy going to do the work has a Hunter 240 also. However his trailer is taller.