Center board Pendent Stuck - Help!

Jun 5, 2020
O’Day 222 Lake Pewaukee
I installed a new center board line & pendent, connected the center board line shackle to the center board (it had a shackle), I know dumb to connect two shackles together. Did I say the boat is in the water , yes it’s in the water on a lift. I pulled up the center board everything worked great, but the two shackles got stuck in the top of the keel. I have tried everything to free them to no avail.
Has anyone had a shackle get stuck in the keel or to you have a though in freeing up theses shackles??

My current plan is order a new pendent line and cut off and vacate the stuck one

Anthony 262:510:6435

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
CB's on the O'Day 23's used to hang up a lot all by themselves. Diving down with a large adjustable wrench and prying downward from the aft part of the trunk did the trick in seconds. No sure it is right in this case though....

Jun 5, 2020
O’Day 222 Lake Pewaukee
The center board is free. the problem is the metal pendent connected to the sheet line that runs up to the cockpit. The pendent broke away from the center board and got pulled up inside the keel. To narrow of an area to reach a hand up there about 18” to unlodge it.

Jun 5, 2020
O’Day 222 Lake Pewaukee
CB's on the O'Day 23's used to hang up a lot all by themselves. Diving down with a large adjustable wrench and prying downward from the aft part of the trunk did the trick in seconds. No sure it is right in this case though....
The center board is free. the problem is the metal pendent connected to the sheet line that runs up to the cockpit. The pendent broke away from the center board and got pulled up inside the keel. To narrow of an area to reach a hand up there about 18” to unlodge it.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Since it's on a lift I'd toss a life jacket on and go for a plunge. Is the line sticking out of the bottom of the trunk?

Here's what I would try... Make a hook and tie a line to it. Tape the hook to a stick. Now try to get the hook on one of those shackles. Since it's on a lift you could use your body weight. I'm guessing that will do the trick

A pic would be helpful

Jun 5, 2020
O’Day 222 Lake Pewaukee
Since it's on a lift I'd toss a life jacket on and go for a plunge. Is the line sticking out of the bottom of the trunk?

Here's what I would try... Make a hook and tie a line to it. Tape the hook to a stick. Now try to get the hook on one of those shackles. Since it's on a lift you could use your body weight. I'm guessing that will do the trick

A pic would be helpful
Thanks O’Day 25! I have been in the water a few times and had the shackle on a flexible grabber tool (see attached) today, but the shackle is lodged and will not move. I tried to move it with a crowbar to the forward in the keel housing, and it does not move front/back or up/ down. I think there is only the one shackle on the line after working on it today. Photo/s would be impossible with the bottom of the keel at water line and the shackle up in the keel hosing 18” (dark). Also, the area where the pendent line runs up In the keel housing is to narrow to get your hand up there to feel around :huh:.

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'm still thinking that if you get a line on that shackle you should be able to break it loose. Attach the line to a crowbar, put a block of wood between the bar and keel and pry downwards.

Is it possible that there are two lines going through the pendent tube and causing a jam?

Jun 5, 2020
O’Day 222 Lake Pewaukee
I'm still thinking that if you get a line on that shackle you should be able to break it loose. Attach the line to a crowbar, put a block of wood between the bar and keel and pry downwards.

Is it possible that there are two lines going through the pendent tube and causing a jam?
O’ Day 25 , thank again. I did try the crowbar for leverage and had it attached to the shackle end of the line and tried prying it down from a couple of angles. That pendent is locked on to something up there. I can hear the metal clicking when I connect with the pendent or maybe it’s the pulley. But it must be hooked on something, I am thinking.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I know on the 25 there's no pulley. I'm guessing the 222 has the same, if not smaller cb. A snake camera might be a good way to go. You can get them pretty cheap online or possibly rent them from a tool supply place. I think I paid $25 for my USB cam. they're usually waterproof

Jun 5, 2020
O’Day 222 Lake Pewaukee
I know on the 25 there's no pulley. I'm guessing the 222 has the same, if not smaller cb. A snake camera might be a good way to go. You can get them pretty cheap online or possibly rent them from a tool supply place. I think I paid $25 for my USB cam. they're usually waterproof
Thank is an awesome idea! Thank you

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I doubt this will work but you might be able to put some sort of rod or stick down the pendant to push or tap the pendant out through the bottom. I would avoid wood as it's possible for it to break inside the tube. A fiberglass stick for marking driveway corners or for fishing cables would work well. The latter is much thinner

Jun 5, 2020
O’Day 222 Lake Pewaukee
O’ Day 25 , thank again. I did try the crowbar for leverage and had it attached to the shackle end of the line and tried prying it down from a couple of angles. That pendent is locked on to something up there. I can hear the metal clicking when I connect with the pendent or maybe it’s the pulley. But it must be hooked on something, I am thinking.
Thanks O’day 25, I picked up a scope camera from Home Depot for $95 & it worked great. With the camera and a 2’ grabber it was like doing arthroscopic surgery. Shackle out and reinstalled on the centerboard.. thank you again for the scope camera thought!

Jun 5, 2020
O’Day 222 Lake Pewaukee
Thank is an awesome idea! Thank you
Thanks O’day 25, I picked up a scope camera from Home Depot for $95 & it worked great. With the camera and a 2’ grabber it was like doing arthroscopic surgery. Shackle out and reinstalled on the centerboard.. thank you again for the scope camera thought!

Attachments