Center board line tension

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My question now is. Are there different centerboards for the these boats as options or aftermarket.
I'm not a Hunter owner, nor have any experience with them, however, the Mariner 19 has two different centerboards. The early models, like mine, have a CB made of cast iron, while the current production models use a glass board. It is possible, both, that different model years changed CB materials and that a previous owner installed a custom CB. I'm inclined to believe what Crazy Dave says, however. If he says they were all made with fiberglass, that's probably true. He knows his stuff.

-Will (Dragonfly)

gudiss

Jul 19, 2016
hunter h260 ocean city nj
frodo, i too went below the boat both on the hard and when it was in the water and my center board is very very heavy. i could barely budge it by hand?????????

Mar 8, 2018
Hunter 240 Texas Gulf Coast
Had this same issue with my H240. After removing c.b. , replacing both lines and cheekblock I learned that the centerboard raised easily while underway at a relatively low forward speed and was almost impossible to raise while stationary. The cb weight (mine weighed 121lb) is what keeps it down while underway and to lift it you must have forward speed....an example of the force created by parasitic drag of the c.b. leading edge as it moves forward. However, if you're moving forward and it still is difficult to raise check for binding at the place where thick line takes a 90 thru the upper deck, you might see the line frayed due to contact...I needed to file the bracket a bit on mine to allow the line size Dave C. recommended (worth doing) Boat maintenance is half the fun!

May 6, 2020
Hunter 260 Gray Creek Kootenay Lake
I took some pictures of the way it looks now. Still working on a way to lift the boat. The first picture shows that the pivot bracket is in pretty square and straight. From one angle with a flashlight I can see the bolt on to and it looks snug. The second picture is the centerboard where it has some scratched off fiberglass and you can see some rust where water got in as if it has iron (metal) inside.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Looking at that photo , no doubt water penetrated the inside of the centerboard and possibly the foam inside may have expanded the centerboard. That may be another reason to inspect closer and again I would take it to a yard to haul the boat off the trailer. Frankly I would be careful using timbers as the wrong move could bust the seal on top of the water ballast tank lid. Plus it is much safer.

May 6, 2020
Hunter 260 Gray Creek Kootenay Lake
regarding the centerboard. This may explain something.
Centerboard Upgrade
A solid stainless steel bar is encapsulated between two pieces of High Density Polyethylene and cut to a true NACA airfoil shape, to reduce drag and create lift. This center board comes with a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.

We're adding more parts daily. Can't find the part you need? Contact us.

Leaves warehouse: 24 business days
Shipping time: see chart

Made to order: Yes - Please read return policies

Please check to make sure the part you're replacing looks like the one in the photo. There may be small differences due to manufacturer upgrades and redesigns.

Item No.PartStatusPriceQty
821316​
Centerboard Upgrade
Available
24 business days from order to shipment​
$1,788.00

Jul 15, 2020
Hunter Hunter 260 Lake Tahoe
I removed my centerboard last year and cleaned out the housing completely to meet the TRPA inspection criteria here in Tahoe. It was not difficult if you have the right equipment and know how but the centerboard does weight a lot on the 260 (I am not sure about the 26). It would never float up into the housing when sailing as you said happens on the 26, but it may pivot back and forth slightly if not cleated. The whole operation took about 2Hrs on my own and I recall the most difficult part in fact was getting the newly tied knot to sit flush intio the CB.

There was a lot of growth inside the housing so you should consider the history of your boat and the last time the line was changed. Mine came from a lake in OK and a significant amount of dirt covered the keel. It was impossible to get to see this area when the boat was on the trailer.

I am 100% certain that my new lift line is set correctly and though it requires a significant amount of power for me to pull this up, I can do this manually and without using the winch, normally I put my foot against the bulkhead to give me better balance. If you can only lift using the winch something is definitely wrong.

There are a few factors I can think of that could inhibit the motion:

1) Worn line that has jumped off the roller
2) Incorrect OD line. I purchased the 7/16th line from this site to make sure it was correct and had no stretch.
3) Stuck or damaged roller
4) Excessive growth in the CB housing restricting it

A couple of tips if you do remove the centerboard.

1) Lift the table out the way and tie it with a ratchet strap to the ceiling
2) Before lowering anything, Insert a long 3/4 inch all thread once you remove the bolt. This will allow you to control lowering (and lifting) the CB at the pivot point. I used rgranger/ crazy daves pdf above am my guideline. I think the main difference was that I used pallet racks secured in concrete as a lifting frame and 4 X chain blocks. The boat lifted very easily from the trailer.

Jul 15, 2020
Hunter Hunter 260 Lake Tahoe
Here is a link to my previous post on this subject, hopefully this helps. When you find the solution please revert back so others can access the knowledge! Lifting Points