Center board line tension

May 6, 2020
Hunter 260 Gray Creek Kootenay Lake
I need to use the winch and all my strength on the crank to pull up the center board on my Hunter 260. My brother has a Hunter 26 and his centerboard comes up without the use of the winch. This has been so ever since I bought the boat 5 years ago. I wonder if anyone has this problem or knows what may cause it.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
That is definitively not right.

On mine... I have a two block system on the lift line. That gives me a 2:1 mechanical advantage. Do you have blocks on yours?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Growth?
I know it's kind of too obvious, but I have to ask.
Other problems include an oversized connector being jammed in the trunk.
If you have pulleys, the cable may have fallen out of the track.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I see you just joined our amazing crew this very day, so welcome aboard. With patience and persistence, you will find plenty of expert help in all things sailing.
These guys are the best with inexhaustible experience and helpfulness.

A small suggestion, we love pictures and following along as people work and play on their sailboats, sho don't be afraid to share a photo or two of you boat or the problem at hand.

Glad to have you join us.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
What size line. Should be 7/16 inch line only. Any growth in centerboard housing? Ever replaced. Did you look where it exits onto deck. Are sheaves good in deck organizer. Could the centerboard be damaged with water vv

Former dealer now retired who was involved with the design
Send private message with phone number and location as it will be kept confidential.
Dave alias Crazy Dave
I

May 6, 2020
Growth?

-Will (Dragonfly)
I suspect it is the pulley where the rope comes of the cam is somehow malfunctioning. Just wondered if anyone else ever had that problem.

May 6, 2020
What size line. Should be 7/16 inch line only. Any growth in centerboard housing? Ever replaced. Did you look where it exits onto deck. Are sheaves good in deck organizer. Could the centerboard be damaged with water vv

Former dealer now retired who was involved with the design
Send private message with phone number and location as it will be kept confidential.
Dave alias Crazy Dave
I
The roller where it comes out to the deck runs smooth as well as the pulleys on the deck. The 7/16 line is tight like a piano string once the keel is part way up. So i think it is either the pulley by the cam in the well or the rope slipped of the cam and binds the keel.

Fred

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
lYou may have to haul the boat to remove the entire mechanism..Without photos and possibly a call, I doubt I can help; Trying to winch as reported may exacerbate the problem

May 6, 2020
lYou may have to haul the boat to remove the entire mechanism..Without photos and possibly a call, I doubt I can help; Trying to winch as reported may exacerbate the problem
Thanks Dave, I will try and take the CB out in the garage. I have lots of timbers I can shape to hold the hull. I believe there is enough room under the boat if jack the trailer up a bit, prop the boat up properly and take the wheels off the trailer and slide it out of the way

May 6, 2020
Growth?

-Will (Dragonfly)
thanks

gudiss

Jul 19, 2016
hunter h260 ocean city nj
I need to use the winch and all my strength on the crank to pull up the center board on my Hunter 260. My brother has a Hunter 26 and his centerboard comes up without the use of the winch. This has been so ever since I bought the boat 5 years ago. I wonder if anyone has this problem or knows what may cause it.
hi Frodo, please post your findings for i have the same issue on my 02 260 it takes mucho force to get it up.

May 6, 2020
hi Frodo, please post your findings for i have the same issue on my 02 260 it takes mucho force to get it up.
I will post for sure once/if I find the problem. Has yours always been hard to pull up or did that start over time?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
One big problems when replacing the line on the centerboard are:
1. 7/16 inch line not smaller or larger
2. Routed correctly with proper positioning
Of the two pins held in place with duck
Tape.
3. Aligning the centerboard housing going
Straight up in the housing space for it

The poster was trying to put the bracket sideways and if so, the centerboard bracket can become lodged and pinned in thus not allowing the bracket to seat properly. N

I always suggest having a boat lifted safely for a variety of reasons with straps tied together. Otherwise I am concerned for health of the person and damage to boat

May 6, 2020
I jacked up the boat today about 6 inches off the trailer and let the centerboard down till it hit the trailer crossbar. I then climbed under the boat and tried to lift the end of the centerboard beck into the well. This was almost impossible by my self, but with another person helping it was doable. We moved it up and down and did not feel that the force needed was due to friction, but rather due to the weight of the centerboard. We tried the same on the centerboard of my brothers H26 (not a 260)sitting next to mine in the garage and you could lift it up and down by your self without to much effort. His centerboard comes up while on the water without using a winch.
My question now is. Are there different centerboards for the these boats as options or aftermarket. My brother broke his centerboard in two a couple of years ago and the thing was made of fiberglass, while mine feels like it has steel inside.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You may be onto something but... I can tell you that when Kermit and I changed our lines ( see PDFwrite up in earlier post) Our two center boards were the same and neither were terribly heavy. Kermit had a 260 and I have a 26

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Hull and centerboard/bracket are the same. Your bunk boards may be too low. Suggest at this point have the boat lifted and install the bracket straight up using a threaded 3/4 inch bolt using a 1 1/8 inch socket to help raise into the area in housing correctly. At this point something is wrong and all the suggestions are not helping.