Cement in front hull. S25 1978

Seamon

Mar 2, 2010
Seidelman 25s Montréal
Does somebody knows if the cement has been installed by the manufacturer?

I'am currently removing all of this cement to get to the rotten wooden struts, but do I have to reinstall some cement after?

I feel that my boat is gonna be unbalanced without that weight.

Cheers!

Attachments

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
Does somebody knows if the cement has been installed by the manufacturer?

I'am currently removing all of this cement to get to the rotten wooden struts, but do I have to reinstall some cement after?

I feel that my boat is gonna be unbalanced without that weight.

Cheers!
:stupid:My first keel boat was a Siedelman 25.......I believe hull #13?... Boat loved to point! But was scarey as hell down wind!!:eek::eek::eek: Got to love that Vee Shaped hull design...Would have made a great trimaran....Watch out when on a Port tack !... Make sure you cork that sink drain or you will have water over the floor boards real fast. Does the hull sides still suck in after you redid chain plate bulkheads? Don't know anything about the concrete. Had about 12+ sailing Friends aboard one time and hit a recently sunken shrimp boat at full speed and full sail. Boat rose up about 2 feet as it came to a full stop. No leaks...Keel bolts fine... Hauled out the following weekend...No keel to hull joint smile. Though...We did find a large gouge taken out of the leading port side lead keel just 12 inches below the hull :wow:... The yard guys took a large mallet and hammered it somewhat smooth. And it was back to the party! Broach Baby...Broach!:yeah: Oh those were the younger stupider days...:doh:

Aug 7, 2011
Seidelmann S37 Georgetown
I remember a bunch of users from the old Seidelmann-owners web page talking about cement being used to balance the boat on some of the earlier models. I'd put it back in after your stinger repair.

Sep 18, 2009
Tartan 37 Classic 24 St Michaels
The concrete was installed at the factory, the bow rides too high with out it.

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
Surveyor said:
The concrete was installed at the factory, the bow rides too high with out it.
This my explain some of the wild scary Harry down wind rides I experienced and wipe outs with mast in the water!!!

Sep 18, 2009
Tartan 37 Classic 24 St Michaels
Yes I have experienced that myself we were real careful on spinnaker size in heavy air we flew a small starcut.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
In 1978 I bought a new Seidelmann 25. It didn't have any cement in it. I raced the boat and won all sorts of trophies with it. Loved how it sailed. I used to fly a spinnaker and a blooper on it (even solo, when the winds were not too heavy). I used to sit in the bow pulpit and fly the spinnaker alone on the boat. Had tons of fun with that vessel.

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
Concrete

Weigh all the concrete removed in 5 gal buckets and replace the weight with something more usefull Maybe house bank batteries Or water tank. Or a big anchor

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant
Weigh all the concrete removed in 5 gal buckets and replace the weight with something more usefull Maybe house bank batteries Or water tank. Or a big anchor
That's great advice, something better than concrete can be used

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
In 1978 I bought a new Seidelmann 25. It didn't have any cement in it. I raced the boat and won all sorts of trophies with it. Loved how it sailed. I used to fly a spinnaker and a blooper on it (even solo, when the winds were not too heavy). I used to sit in the bow pulpit and fly the spinnaker alone on the boat. Had tons of fun with that vessel.
Bill,

That's because you forgot to check the 'head sump full of freeking concrete' option.