CDI Furler Reefer

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
I believe I have one in my basement boat room....will check this morning and be back with you.....Patrick

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Our drum is the same..on the boat.....headed down to look for extra in a few minutes.....

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Sorry to say I have searched the hallowed shelves of the catacombs and cannot find the drum....I'm nearly certain it
will be in the dock box at the lake....and it may be a day or two before I head out there due to the ice storm we had...
It is the exact drum you posted...I will go out there in the next day or two and will look for you and report back.....I'll keep looking below as well. Sorry to keep you waiting.....Patrick

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
I've gone thru all the boxes downstairs this morning and there are no drums.....It's suppose to be a sunny afternoon and I'll try and get out to the lake to check the dock box if you still need me to search...Just let me know before noon if possible...Patrick

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
Patrick, Sam Forrester with his 272 replaced his furler and still had the old one available so he is going to send to me next week. I appreciate you looking and taking the time. If you come across it I would put it on ebay and sell it because people are always looking for them. CDI no longer carries them, they want you to buy their new furler. With mine working with no issues I can't see replacing. Thanks Again Don

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
I'm sorry I wasn't any help....I called Cruising Design a year or so ago wanting some of the splines for the extrusions and they sent me about 6 of the extrusions, and tried to sell me the new furling drum.which I did not want....I like the old one too...it
is easy to solve an over-wrap if you get one..with a closed drum it can be a big issue....so I agree with you...I'm going to stick with the open one as long as I can....I've had the boat since 1986 and have not had any issues with it. Patrick

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
Interestingly, the "new" design (which is at least 12 years old at this point) also does away with that convenient cleat for the halyard. I had just installed my new CDI furler (with the closed drum), and I was having trouble belaying the halyard and called the company for help. To my surprise (and delight), the president/owner/product designer answered the phone; he answered my question and told me how it used to be easy to belay the halyard after raising the sail because the product had a convenient cleat right there. But the "marketing people" convinced him it was unnecessary, and so they took it off. He insisted on sending me a cleat (free, of course). I know some sailors look down on the CDI as a cheap unit, but I've never had a problem. Probably the single best, most useful upgrade I've ever made to my boat.

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
Actually the CDI is a Great unit. I have never had a problem on my 272 with the old unit. I do like the one piece extrusion and when my old CDI Reefer fails I will replace with the FF4 CDI.