CDI furler experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2014
lockley-newport 23 sarasota
my old furler is about to give up the ghost and i'm looking to replace it on a somewhat limited budget. my sailmaker told me that the CDI is marginal at best for the C-30. anyone out there with experience with this on a 30 - good or bad?

Nov 28, 2008
Catalina 30 Northport, NY
Hi Joe,
I have used the OLD CDI furler for twenty eight seasons successfully, but never as a reefing mechanism.
It has ALWAYS been marginal at best, but adequate for zillons of hours and occasions.
Bruce Adams
Northport, NY

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I would really say don't do it if you have a tall rig. The rig on my boat is the same height as some 34 and 35 foot boats. Seriously, don't skimp here because you will pay for it later. True, it is expensive by a few hundred dollars to get a nicer unit...but consider that if your furler jams in bad conditions the only way to get the jib down in a hurry is to cut it.....ack! Then you add another $2000 for a new jib!

Get yourself a Profurl or a Harken. This isn't an area to skimp!

Bob M.

Dec 29, 2007
Catalina 30 TRBS Chicago
I don't recommend it

I had a CDI furler on my old Grampian 26, and it was just adequate to the task. There were no roller (ball) bearings on the unit, and furling it was a bit of a chore. I can't imagine how much more difficult it would be with the sail area of a C30. Having said this, I do feel the CDI is a bargain, and it got the job done on my 26.

Status
Not open for further replies.