CD Traveler Control Cleat Install Question

Sep 17, 2022
Catalina 22 Oolagah
Hello Everyone:
Happy Spring! This upgrade was irresistible to me. Who wouldn’t want an easier way to adjust the traveler? I’ve located and punched the mounting points on the pushpit stanchions but, what does it take to drill through the round stainless steel tubing? I have made almost zero progress with a cobalt 3/16 drill bit and Dewalt 12v drill. Am I using too large a drill bit and should I be using a smaller bit to start a pilot hole? I’ve picked up a Milwaukee “Hard Metal” index which will give me a wide range of bit sizes but, I would sincerely appreciate any advice on how to proceed before I make a mess out of what should be a simple project. Thank you in advance for your replies.

George

Sep 11, 2013
Catalina 25 6106 Lake Erie Metro Park
Start small…then work your way up to 3/16”. Put some oil the drill bit as you go. Watch out for the drill to suddenly grab as the bit breaks through.

Sep 17, 2022
Catalina 22 Oolagah
Thank you MaryEllaRose! I picked up a Milwaukee Hard Metal Index last night and started at 1/16 and have now progressed up two sizes up the scale. Much easier starting small and with the right bits for the job. Much appreciated!

George

KCofKC

Sep 6, 2010
Catalina 28TR MKI 317 Smithville
Start small as stated, lubricate often, low rpm, higher than average pressure. Carbide or titanium bits, they are not cheap relatively speaking, have several spare small ones, they do eat up kind of quick but drill well and can like said above bite. A center punch can help and I also have a drill index that will bolt to a pipe and act like a drill press and it also gears it down which is helpful as well.

Sep 17, 2022
Catalina 22 Oolagah
I'm almost done! Only two holes left to drill. I had to remove my Traveler X track so that I could drill the two lower inside stanchion holes. When I initially installed my main sheet traveler car, I used 3M Sealant to make sure the X Track wasn't going anywhere. Can I skip this step when I put everything together again? I'd rather not go through unsticking the X Track if I ever need to replace the car in the future. lol

George

KCofKC

Sep 6, 2010
Catalina 28TR MKI 317 Smithville
Two trains of thought, use 5200 and know it's stuck or maybe a 4200 and it could removed easier in the future. Good luck.

Sep 17, 2022
Catalina 22 Oolagah
Two trains of thought, use 5200 and know it's stuck or maybe a 4200 and it could removed easier in the future. Good luck.
Well, this one is done. It took a bit longer than I expected and I did go back with 3M 4000 on the X Track. FWIW, DeBond Marine formula does a great job of removing items that have been sealed/set with 3m Silicones.

It's a bit pricey but if you need to remove Silicone, this will get the job done nicely.
George