CD Player

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Christine

I'm looking to install a CD Player inside my 1988 30 Catalina. Because it is going in the interior, do I still need a "marine" radio? Thanks

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Don't bother

Honestly, they don't last that much longer than a regular stereo. Why pay extra for a "marine" stereo when it isn't truly necessary??? It's sorta like buying a $10 "marine" screwdriver when the exact same one can be had at Home Depot for $5! Are you looking at something like a car stereo or a bookshelf type all-in-one unit? I've seen folks raise the shelf in one of the built in book shelves to accomodate a shelf system. They took the shelf out, put in the stereo & then re-installed so it sorta fit right on top & the thing never once fell out in the several years it was there. LaDonna

B

Bob Carlton

Not necessary, but...

You might want to check out West Marine or other such places. I recently bought a marine grade am/fm CD player with weather channel (160 watts) made by Jensen for $150 on sale from West Marine in Portland Or. I'm not sure you can get an in-dash am/fm CD player for an auto for much (if any) less. If you want a built-in, watch for sales. Otherwise, I agree with LaDonna. Or consider a Boombox with CD. That way you don't have to install speakers in the cabin and cockpit.

C

Christine

Thanks for the info, I'm looking to replace an auto type unit. I'll keep my eyes open for the holiday "deals" at West Marine.

M

Mark Gale

Marine CD

I went through the same selection process for my 30 last year. I ended up with a marine unit because I wanted to install it from a bracket next to my marine radio above the chart table. I don't remember the brand, but I got it at Boat US for about $275. If you start looking at the better auto players, you will find that decent ones are getting very near that price point. If you buy a housing unit, you're there. If your option is to cut holes and install it, though, you can do it for less. My unit has worked great. It has two speaker zones so I can douse the music in the cockpit when we're inside. It really added a lot to our enjoyment of the boat... especially for the kids. Good luck. PS: Be very careful of where you put the speakers if you have autohelm. They will screw up the compass.

G

Greg Estep

car CD changer works great

I put an automotive pioneer cassette AM/FM player and a 12 disc CD changer in my boat for under $300.00 (watch the sales), it works great.

B

Bob Camarena

Climate?

i, too have had good luck with an automotive radio and CD changer (both Sony). Climate may be a factor as well as to whether or not you are in fresh or saltwater. I'm primarily in fresh water in Northern CA with occasional cruises to SF Bay. If you're in a warm, humid, saltwater climate where corrosion is a problem in general, the marine version may be better (assuming it's really marinized). Automotive and presumably marine players are shock-resistant and would be better than a home type or inexpensive boom box when it comes to being jostled around on a boat.

M

Mark Johnson

Automotive works for me!

I have used automotive stereo's in my last 3 boats. Each one had been installed for over 5 years. Not a single problem with any of them. You have the option of getting much higher quality stuff if you go with automotive stereo's. Mark Johnson

M

Mike s/v Chute the Breeze

CD Changer

I've also been lookin for a CD for my 38 and this is what I've found..Best Buy has a JVC 12disk cd Changer mod#CHX200RF last weeks flier for $200 and I think the kid said for $29 bucks they have a 4yr service plan w/ yearly cleaning and align if it needs it.. this unit has a hard wired remote so that can go at the nav table or where ever and it comes with an infared remote for the cockpit..no wires between your am/fm at all, you just tune in a freq. on fm and that's it.. anyway I plan on tring this and with the service plan I won't worry about enviroment it's in. Mike mosilver@netnitco.net

Status
Not open for further replies.