Cayo Costa State Park

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2011
Macgregor 25 675 Lake Lanier
A friend of mine takes her family to Cayo Costa every year for Christmas vacation. She will not make it this year due to economic conditions. However, she has sold me on visiting the key. She stays in the cabins(four walls with bunks) and takes the ferry over. She said the shelling is great and she said the fishermen tell her the fishing is great also. I like the idea of being away from everything and still being close to some facilities.

I plan to drop in at Eldred's Marina on December 26th if there is good weather(I have the grandparents ready to watch my kids). Then head down to Cayo Costa. I like shelling, fishing and exploring on my canoe. I think I have put more miles on my canoe than my sailboat. Although the sailboat is catching up quickly.

I am more of a day tripper. The most I have spent on the boat is 3 nights. I plan to spend one or two nights depending on what I find in the area.

Sumner posted pictures of their trip to Cayo Costa and a copy of the chart in the area with arrows pointing to good areas to anchor, depending on wind direction, when visiting Cayo Costa.

With my Elite 4 Lowrance Fishfinder/Chartplotter, paper charts, pictures and reports of a similar trip I feel comfortable making this trip. Maybe overplanned is the word. However, if anyone else has some advise or would like to sail with or meet up I would appreciate a message. The people I sail with on Lake Lanier have boats too big to trailer.

Attachments

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Great

You will love Cayo Costa for sure being one of the most favorite places everyone goes to from the area,the PGSC uses Cayo costa as our starting point for many of our trips and weekend and week trips at Cayo costa.
I will be away most of Dec this year and won't be doing any boating until after New Years,have fun and enjoy your time here in Charlotte Harbor also a great place to visit and visit Cabbage Key also.
nick

Aug 8, 2006
Catalina 34 Naples FL
cayo costa

I have anchored there a time or two but no more. Last time we were there we saw several snakes as we walked across the island. One was a big one. (I mean BIG). chased a rat across the road and caught it 5 feet from where I was running. (away) I grew up a farm boy in the midwest and am not afraid of snakes but this one I ran from. My wife swears she will never set foot there again. (we saw another smaller snake 10 minutes later cross the trail ahead of us). Once we got on board she would not get off the boat.
This was in the summer 3 years ago. Now we pass this area by.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Both islands, Cayo Costa and Punta Blanca Is. are state park lands. You will see wildlife. There have been no reports of boa constrictors or pythons on either. Rat snakes are common in Florida. Good thing too, fruit rats are even more comon. there are several locals active on the forum. Give us a shout when the time comes

Last edited:

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
If you get a chance, run down the ICW to Sanibel Island and check out the Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge. We anchored just off the refuge and took the dinghy in to check out the manatees, alligators and birds. Tons of birds. Make sure you bring a hand-held GPS, though, or it could take a while to find your way out. Just on the other side of the ICW from Ding Darling is the town of St. James City, on Pine Island, with a great restaurant on a canal. Lots of outside seating, and slips to park the dinghy. Have fun!

Jan 10, 2011
I grew up on a ranch in California and have been catching snakes since I was 8 years old. I still have a scar from one that was not happy about being handled. Still like snakes. I would have loved to see one catch a rat.
I looked up Cabbage Key and saw that there was a good restaurant at the marina. Do you have any more local knowledge? Is there another reason to visit Cabbage Key? I do like to go to restaurants where I get to dock. I think it is just plain fun. I found a really neat place in Sarasota last June. The Flying Bridge on Longboat is a must and I have been there a few times. It has reasonable prices good food and a great view. The new place I found is next to Hidden Harbor Marina. Hidden Harbor Marina is really well hidden. The restaurant is in the inlet just North of it next to Southpointe Marina. It is called the Waterfront restaurant. Nice food good atmosphere and an ok view. I sat in there escaping a thunderstorm this summer.
Sanibel could definitely be added to my trip. I will have to look it up and investigate the Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge.
I use a canoe as a dinghy and love to watch wildlife and fish.
Any tips tricks or advise on fishing the area?

gpdno

May 16, 2011
Watkins 27 Venice
The restaurant at Cabbage Key is very nice. Old world Florida charm. If you plan on going its best to call and make reservation.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
RE: Cayo Costa State Park.....There is a $2 per person day fee and trams/shuttles to take you across the island. Several weeks ago we saw an alligator walking on the dunes headed for the lagoon that is perhaps a half mile to the left of the walking path to the beach. Shore birds, shells, tourists on the beach. You might see Manatee as the weather gets cooler. The canoe would be perfect for approaching, but do not "harass" or feed or touch the Manatee. Bathroom facilities with flush toilets and running water from a sink are near the dock, but no showers there. You might be able to find showers at the beach side where the campers are. Not sure on that.

Great place! Enjoy your time exploring the park. Don't skip the office. There are some historical things, maps to find the cemetary, and animal info in the office.

Docking and overnighting is permitted at the park docks. Contact a volunteer or Ranger for exact information. Tie up for the day visit is no extra charge and there is a dinghy dock.

By walking far to the right on the beach (as you face the Gulf) you will get to the part of the island that helps form Boca Grande Pass. Serious fishing area! I don't think I would float the pass in a canoe, but you can fish off the shore or perhaps drift in or out of the pass on the changing tide with your sailboat.

There are many interesting coves you could explore with either vessel. Have good charts! There are a large number of choices for anchoring depending on the wind. Holding is good after you set your anchor. There will probably be lots of boats anchored in the area.

Jan 22, 2008
I looked up Cabbage Key and saw that there was a good restaurant at the marina. Do you have any more local knowledge? Is there another reason to visit Cabbage Key? I do like to go to restaurants where I get to dock. I think it is just plain fun.

Any tips tricks or advise on fishing the area?

Some history on Cabbage Key, short trail thru the mangroves, water tower with good view. Right across the ICW is Useppa I. Private ,but may allow you to come ashore for lunch. Former CIA training base, featured in several books by Randy Wayne White. Further south, south side of Captiva Pass is Safety Harbor, on North Captiva I . I forget the name of the restaurant, but it is on the north shore of the harbor. More further south is Roosevelt Channel. Jensen's Twin Palms, restaurant across the street, and Tween Waters resort.

In Florida you need a salt water fishing licence. We watched guys fishing at the Ranger dock on Cayo Costa. Caught redfish, snook. We also see fishermen work the mangrove shores of both islands

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
... More further south is Roosevelt Channel. Jensen's Twin Palms, restaurant across the street, and Tween Waters resort..
We have used the Roosevelt Channel anchorage a couple times and like it a lot. We also stayed at Jensen's...

http://www.gocaptiva.com/marina-contact.htm

... once for a couple days during a cold spell and they thru the slip in with the room and gave us little better room rates for I think 3 nights. It is like...

..going back to the 50's and the brothers who own it are really nice. Older cabins, but they....

.... have been re-done inside and yet still retain an older look. Within a few blocks are some nice places to eat including the Bubble Room....

http://www.bubbleroomrestaurant.com/facts.html

... that has some terrific deserts and just has to be seen along with the waiters. A couple more blocks finds you at the Gulf side beach. If you don't stay at Jensen's you can still get gas/water there and for a few bucks leave the dingy for the day.

It is about a mile from the anchorage, right arrow, to their place at marker 13, middle arrow. There is also a small bay that you can canoe back into just past the anchorage and you can go further down the channel in the canoe also. Nice place and we will be returning there,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

Mar 28, 2007
Oday 23 Anna Maria Isl.
I love Cayo Costa. If you are like me and need to sometimes get off the boat and stretch the legs - you should know that if you rent a camping space, it includes free dockage. Have fun!

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Patrick I called Eldred's....

http://www.floridabywater.com/south-west-florida-/fort-myerscaptiva/boat-ramps/666-eldreds-marina

... and here is an update on putting in there.

You can put in there and leave a vehicle for $5.35 per day for as many days as you want and there are no additional put-in/take-out charges. It is about 7 miles down the ICW to either turning out into the Gulf at Boca Grande Pass or east into Charlotte Harbor on just another mile or so to Pelican Bay/Cayo Costa. That is a good option.

If one were putting in for more than 3 weeks All American is probably the better deal as they were $75 a month (not sure if that has changed),

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Jan 10, 2011
Patrick I called Eldred's....

http://www.floridabywater.com/south-west-florida-/fort-myerscaptiva/boat-ramps/666-eldreds-marina

... and here is an update on putting in there.

You can put in there and leave a vehicle for $5.35 per day for as many days as you want and there are no additional put-in/take-out charges. It is about 7 miles down the ICW to either turning out into the Gulf at Boca Grande Pass or east into Charlotte Harbor on just another mile or so to Pelican Bay/Cayo Costa. That is a good option.

If one were putting in for more than 3 weeks All American is probably the better deal as they were $75 a month (not sure if that has changed),

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links
Thanks for all the information.
I was looking at the cottages at Jenson's but they are out of my price range. Eldred's Marina is more my price range. Someone else suggested the Lee County public boat ramp which is closer. I am still planning to use Eldred's. It is closer to Sarasota, cheaper and I have driven by it a few times. I also like sailing. So I will have a chance to sail down Charlotte Harbor to Cayo Costa.

I found a great storage location in Sarasota. It is just a couple of blocks from the public boat ramp and the prices are great. I called to store my boat from a week before Thanksgiving to after New Years. His posted rate would have been between $120 and $160 but he said $120 since it was only part of November and a couple days in January. I agreed to the price and then he said, "How about $100?" When I paid him I thanked him for the reduction in price. He said he remembered that I was a teacher and he figured I didn't have a bunch of money. Nice guy. When asked he gives local knowledge. If you want to do repairs while staying there you need to have him write it in the contract. He wants to make sure your know you are doing your repairs at your own risk.
Marine Engineering
1470 12th St.
Sarasota FL
941-955-5833--Jim will answer.
The yard is cut grass.

This may not be great prices for other parts of Florida but in Sarasota everyone thinks that the land is made of gold. Still love Sarasota.

Jan 10, 2011
Some history on Cabbage Key, short trail thru the mangroves, water tower with good view. Right across the ICW is Useppa I. Private ,but may allow you to come ashore for lunch. Former CIA training base, featured in several books by Randy Wayne White. Further south, south side of Captiva Pass is Safety Harbor, on North Captiva I . I forget the name of the restaurant, but it is on the north shore of the harbor. More further south is Roosevelt Channel. Jensen's Twin Palms, restaurant across the street, and Tween Waters resort.

In Florida you need a salt water fishing licence. We watched guys fishing at the Ranger dock on Cayo Costa. Caught redfish, snook. We also see fishermen work the mangrove shores of both islands
I buy a non-resident every year. I am planning to move back eventually(Then I will only need a resident fishing license).
Snook are still catch and release. I have caught a bunch of redfish but I have never kept any to eat. Are they good eating? Any good recipes?
Flounder is my favorite.
I keep Sea Trout occasionally but I like hamburger better.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Thanks for all the information.
I was looking at the cottages at Jenson's but they are out of my price range. Eldred's Marina is more my price range. Someone else suggested the Lee County public boat ramp which is closer. I am still planning to use Eldred's. It is closer to Sarasota, cheaper and I have driven by it a few times. I also like sailing. So I will have a chance to sail down Charlotte Harbor to Cayo Costa...
Jensen's isn't cheap, but compared to other places on Captiva not bad. For us we figure that since we are usually anchored out all of the time we save a lot of money there. For your trip I'd stay on the boat and enjoy that :).

I also agree with you on putting in at Eldred's. It will save a fair amount of driving from the direction you are coming and is cheaper and if you want to stay on the water longer there is no problem (I think the public ramp has a 3 day limit).

Your Sarasota info should help someone,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Jan 10, 2011
Looks like the 27th and 28th are good days to go. I plan to start from Eldred's Marina on the 27th. The wind should have slowed down by then.

Jan 22, 2008
We are leaving this morning. Expect to still be around there on 26 and 27. Come by and say hi. Boat name is Fantasy. Sorry no pics on IPad.

Jan 10, 2011
I will be looking. I don't know if there will be any internet available in the area. Probably not for me since I don't have an extender.

Jan 10, 2011
I have been sailing in Sarasota Bay checking everything out. I am a fair weather sailor. If it is too windy or raining or cold the boat is on a trailer. It is looking good for the 27th and 28th. Yesterday was one of the best days ever. I set up and launched in just over an hour. I sailed around the bay. I went by the Sarasota Sailing Squadron but did not stop in to say hi. I tried to sail over a sand bar that was 3' deep with a keel that is 6'9". I was only going 3 knots. I had to raise the keel. I found out that sailing with the keel halfway down is a bad idea. The keel bangs around when it is not all the way up or all the way down.

It was a beautiful sunny day. I saw many birds and fish. But I did not see any dolphin/porpoise. I did see some manatee. They looked like a couple of brown mud balls floating on the top of the water until they moved.

The Sailing Squadron set up some really nice bird bathrooms next to their mooring balls. A couple of unfeeling members had put netting over their boats and the birds where flying desperately around with their legs crossed.(Note to self do not put boat on mooring ball without bird netting)

Take down took an hour also.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
I will be looking. I don't know if there will be any internet available in the area. Probably not for me since I don't have an extender.
We were able to get internet from Pelican Bay from a marina back over at Boca Grande but it was very slow due to the distance. This was only possible with our long distance WiFi...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor-navigation/Compter-Nav-index.html

....with the Bullet 2HP. I doubt you will get it without some type of long range radio. It is a great place WiFi or not :). Have a good trip,

Sumner and Ruth

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Status
Not open for further replies.