Caught in a Storm

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I second jssailem's reference to a pilot training dictum: "Aviate (fly the plane/control the boat), navigate, communicate"
I always remember my instructor reminding me that "planes fly by the principles expounded by Bernoulli, not Marconi - Fly the plane first." Much the same principle for sailing upwind.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
I like that he replaced the camera with a better one... that's classy
I'll try to find the race video when it happened. I think it was an Icicle Race in 2019 or 2018. Camera and mount went straight to bottom.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Camera and mount went straight to bottom.
I wonder if zip-tying a pool noodle around the mount pole would help in case that happens again. Probably wouldn’t be great for your finish time, but you could do a man overboard drill and hopefully recover the camera anyhow.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
I wonder if zip-tying a pool noodle around the mount pole would help in case that happens again. Probably wouldn’t be great for your finish time, but you could do a man overboard drill and hopefully recover the camera anyhow.
If you look closer at the photo, there is some pipe insulation around the first couple feet of the replacement. I don't know if it's enough, but better than nothing.
It was almost "removed" by a J/105 earlier this year, too.

Camera.JPG

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
There is a strut made from 3/4" galvanized conduit zip tied to the stern pulpit. It isn't pretty, but it has held up and does the job. It has been "removed" by close port tackers a time or two. Yes, that is a very close crossing to get to that camera.
Found the video, right at a minute in, very close crossing!