Catamaran Q :)

Jan 19, 2019
Oday 27 Hudson, Wisconsin
We are used to monohauls, and have recently picked up a Star Cat 5.6 from someone who wanted to give her a new home. Anyhow, masts on the cats pivot, and when stepping the mast it is kind of tricky to keep it from slipping off the ball joint. I know this is a sailboat forum, and I'm also posting this to a catamaran forum, but I thought I would see if anyone here had any experience with these cats, etc. Thanks!
So far the only info I can find on them is:
(https://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=71170)
BTW I can take some pictures of the set up tomorrow and post for clarification.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You need to keep forward pressure on the step to keep the socket on the ball. Have your crew pull on the jib halyard from the front of the boat as you raise the mast.... once you're above 45 deg it'll stay put.
Most, but not all, beach cats will have some kind of captive bracket to make this issue less annoying. Check owner's manual for clues.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My hobie 18 had a mast base that swung on a pivot down over the ball step and pinned in place during mast raising. Pull the pin and let it hang on its tether wire while sailing. It's been a long time and I barely remember, but your post is bringing the memories back to me.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2019
Yeah, I'll take some pictures after work today - but not obvious place to pin.... but there is a rope that we could use to hold it down on a cleat.... might take some MacGyvering to make this an easier job ;)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have a Hobi 16 with a similar mast set up. I have a small hinge-pin like device at the base of the mast that keeps the alignment correct.
It looks like this

I found one online.

https://www.murrays.com/product/50-...jJWdKiLTcOlFumk9XFI9_TuGFpsWPyVRoCiAwQAvD_BwE

If you have the same mast base you connect it like this...
upload_2019-5-13_11-12-59.png

Of course this picture kind of sucks because it only shows the mast base and does not have the mast in the picture.

Once the mast is raised, you remove the pin and the mast is now free to rotate.

Jan 19, 2010
BTW: You don't need to appologize for posting about a Hobie on a sailboat site. Hobies are sailboat ... and frankly if it has a sail, we like talking about it.;)

Jan 19, 2019
So here are some pictures of what we are working with - I think we will need to install some sort of bracket on the base so we can joint the hinge pin device to the boat, then the hinge pin should be able to attach to the mast ok. I'm just not sure if the distance is the same (since this is a Star Cat and not a Hobie Cat) but worth a try, eh?
Also, what type of pin/turnbuckle, etc, would you guys rec for the forestay? All I have is the threaded end...
mast base.JPG
mast step.JPG
forestay.JPG

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
That toe at the aft end of the foot is interesting. I wonder if there was some sort of boot that it fit into while raising, maybe a bungy strap, that would then be removed after it was up or a ring that it caught under and stayed in place while rotating underneath.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2010
I'm wondering if maybe that piece of small stuff (a.k.a.light line... a.k.a. string) on the mast base is supposed to be strung through the tang near the base of the mast to keep the alignment correct. Then when the mast is up, you can slip the line out.
upload_2019-5-15_16-33-8.png

Regarding the the forestay. You need a turn buckle .... what you have it actually one of three pieces of a turn buckle so you will need to buy a new one and try to reuse the piece you have. However your threads look a bit chewed up. That thread looks like 1/4 but it is hard to say without a reference. Measure the diameter with a caliper.

I have ordered turn buckles directly from this site. You will need to know if you need a right hand or left hand turn.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019
Yeah, we tried using that rope to stabilize it while lifting, and snapped one of the rivets that attached the tang to the mast. We are going to put a new bolt through where the rivet broke. Then I guess we can try again, and maybe use two ropes to stabilize it side to side when raising the mast?
I got some new turn buckle parts, but accidentally got left handed piece when I needed right handed, lol...

Jan 19, 2010
Good luck
Sounds like you are close to having it sorted out.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I think if it were my boat, I'd have pelican hooks or something similar on my rigging wires so I could easily and quickly clip them to the chain plates to hold the mast up until I had got them all tight.