Catalina vs. Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Nigra

We are in the series mode of buying a new / used boat, however my wife and I disagree on the purchase of a Hunter or the Catalina. Any suggestions as to whom is making a better decision? Thanks.

S

Stan Rogacevicz

Catalina vs Hunter or Benneteau

Catalinas are always put in the same class with Hunters and Benneteas which I think is wrong. The Catalinas are heavier and the extra weight is in things like a solid glass hull, not flash and fluff. That gives Catalinas a more solid feel and the ability to punch through waves that would shake up the H or B's. The Bal/Disp ratio is also higher on Catalinas which gives me a good feeling about making mistakes and being over canvased. The H and B's may say the Catalinas are over weight and old fashioned - That's a compliment ! Stan c320 #656

M

M Kolbenschlag

Buy a Catalina

Went thru the same process. Bought a Catalina 42 because: better value than a Beneteau 40; better built than a Hunter 42. That means a sleeker hull with less windage (look how Hunter positions the waterline stripe well above the real waterline to disguise the windage potential. You are more limited on head sail possibilities on the Hunter because of the rig. Most Catalinas properly sailed will outpace the comparable Hunter. Catalinas look like sailboats. Catalina's value retention is outstanding. After 10 years I sold my 30 for more than the original base price of the boat.

B

Bob Robeson

Ford, Chevy or Dodge.

It all comes down to how you use the boat. Catalina's are more of a sailors boat, with sailing its design priority. It's rigging, size, weight and design allow it to sail well on all points of sail and gives it the ability to use many different types of sails. The Hunters are more like an Luxury RV and good for entertaining at dock with an occasional trip away from the dock, weather and time permitting, but not sailing as well as the B or C. (Hunters do not like sailing straight down wind, so do not work well on rivers or other areas that you can not determine the direction of sail) The B is more in between but built on the light side and I would rather be in a Catalina if the weather turned bad. If you live in an area where the weather is not much of a factor (southern California) the B would be a good choice. There are many reasons to buy any of these or many other boats, just make sure the boat you buy fits the way you wish to use it, if it doesn’t it is the wrong boat. Good Luck Bob Author of: NO Clew to a sole, the official book on the language of sailing!

R

Ron Marcuse

Catalina, Beneteau and Hunter

I'm going to disagree with some of the other responses here. The Beneteau is actually a well build boat, with similar potential to a Catalina. The main differences are in space and value. The construction of the bigger Hunters are not as bad as some believe, although it's probably not quite in the same league. In my opinion, their Jetson styling, lack of back stays, and swept back spreaders hurt it more than anything else. All 3 have solid glass hulls, but the Catalina is a drop heavier for each size.

M

Melody Miller

Well What About This?

Hey Guys: Seems like most people view the weight of a boast as an indicator of sturdiness. My friend has a 28 ft. Cape Dory that, according to the specs. weighs over 9,000 lbs. My Catalina 27, one foot shorter, weighs 5,600 lbs. Who's got the better built boat? Melody

Status
Not open for further replies.