Catalina vs Capri 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Kokernak

My wife and I are looking into our first sailboat for Lake George, NY. The primary function will be daysailing with occasional weekends at camping islands. Our family now is 2 adults and one very small child...will probably see most of it's overnight use with 2 adults and 2 kids. The majority of usage will be 2-6 adults and 2 children for daysails. *I* might be interested in racing in the future. I'm not sure my wife agrees. My question deals with the appropriate choice between the Capri and Catalina. It is easy to stand next to the two of them and compare, however I'm looking for experienced advice here. The cockpit on the Capri is great. What has greater value...cockpit space or cabin space? Is it feasible to sleep 2 adults and 2 young children in the Capri? In terms of sailing characteristics, is there a large difference (wing keel on the Capri)? Thanks! --Jim

M

Mike Brett

Jim, I'm probably biased, as I have a Capri. The tradeoff between cabin and cockpit space depends on what you are going to use the boat for, but the Capri is quite cramped below. If you are daysailing, you spend all your time in the cockpit anyway. The big difference is in sailing performance. The Capri is much livelier, which makes sailing more fun, especially in light winds. Mike

G

Geoff Atkinson

Catalina 22

On the flip side, I would like a faster boat, but my wife would never stay weekends on anything smaller that a Catalina 22. So, needless to say, we have an 89'Catalina 22. I have never sailed a Capri 22 but they look like they would be fun. The catalina truly fits our needs (as a family of four-husband, wife, two-year old, and infant). Good luck. Geoff

B

Bill

Capri 22 the right choice

I have a wife and 2 small children age 7 and 3. We love our capri 22. We have spent many weekends on it but it is pretty small down below. The bunks are plenty large enough but there is no place for anything else. I love the speed and the large cockpit. For a first boat I would reccommend this boat but if you are going to spend lots of time down below you might want to consider something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.