Catalina vs Beneteau

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ron Schensky

I currently own a Catalina 30. Looking to upgrade to a used Catalina 38 or used 39 ft Beneteau.
Would appreciate any thoughts from the group.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I currently own a Catalina 30. Looking to upgrade to a used Catalina 38 or used 39 ft Beneteau.
Would appreciate any thoughts from the group.
The B39 (390, 393), are boats with good layouts. You'll see many of them in the charter business. I'm on my second Beneteau (323), and really like them. Of course, ANYONE loves what they have :dance:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Both are great Factory boats and good value. It almost boils down to a matter of personal preference. I went through the Beneteau v. Catalina drilll when I bought my B323.

I have my definite likes and dislikes about the Beneteau. Some of the "dislikes" would have been avoided by going with the Catalina most notably the engine size, tank capacities, and rig differences. But these are not enough to drive me into any kind of buyer's remorse over opting for the Beneteau. The Beneteau route was driven more by cabin layout for us than anything else. If I were to upsize, I would still go through the same drill.

Oct 3, 2008
Beneteau 393 Chesapeake Bay
A couple of years ago, I bought a Beneteau 393 and am very happy with it. I was also at the Annapolis show this past weekend and looked at most Catalinas and Beneteaus. Each manufacturer has its own general style and features, and in this class, it is a matter of personal preference. That said, I think it comes down to the particular boat, not just the maker. For example, I did not like the 40 foot Catalina from a couple of years ago, but I do like the newer 44 footers. Now, the same with the new Beneteaus (I don't like the 40 but do like the 43 or 46).

In reality, both manufacturers make decent boats. Keep both brands in play, and look at each particular boat offered in the size you are seeking. With used boats, decide based upon current condition, past maintenance, layout, features, etc. (probably in that order).

Oct 15, 2009
catalina 320 Perry Lake
I was the proud owner of a 281 for 6 years. I decided to move up a little and was going to get a 323, 343, or new 31. While shopping, I ran across a newer Catalina 320 and fell in love with the room and layout. Now that I've had it for a season, I'm really glad that I went w/ the Catalina. Not only does it feel more roomy inside and out but I routinely out point and out run the 311s, and 343s on our lake. Like someone else said previously, you're gonna like your boat best.

Status
Not open for further replies.