Catalina -> True North

Nov 30, 2007
Hunter 36 Forked River, NJ
Hey all. Now I know you can't believe everything you read, see, and hear on the internet, but I've now found this news from multiple sources and was wondering about the current and future state of Catalina Yachts. A couple of years ago when I toured the factory I was given the impression that True North was a side business. It sounded more like they were rescuing a floundering brand. Now I'm hearing from Wikipedia and other internet sources that the company has shifted its priority to True North . Of course, Frank Butler sadly passed and Gerry Douglas is no longer there. And they did sell off a bunch of legacy inventory to the chandlery at this site. I'd guess there are many more motorboat dealers to work with, and presume due to complexity and cost their margin with motorboats is better. But still... they are/were the last big American production sailboat brand and they seem to be on an upward trend. What do you think - is this the end of the (Catalina) world as we know it?

Last edited:

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
I have no prediction. It's hard to believe that, with fuel prices and environmental concerns, powerboat sales would be seen as a better future for a company than sailboat sales. But I've long since given up trying to predict other people's choices!

Nov 30, 2007
Hunter 36 Forked River, NJ
Sure enough, Stu. As mentioned, Wikipedia is one. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalina_Yachts
Also a used boat market consultant under the name Chasing Latitudes. It's a little dramatic and perhaps overblown, and definitely disagree with some of his design and quality commentary, but I also don't know a reason to suspect he would benefit from lying about the Catalina company:

I know there are Catalina fans who live near, or who must have visited the factory in Largo recently and was hoping to hear from someone firsthand. I've recently read accounts of Hunter owners who observed their support and factory activity shrink before their eyes, and really hope Catalina isn't going away!

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I notice the same wording is used in both the Wiki and on the Vid which suggests to me they are from the same source. Factory OEM parts showing up here on Catalina owners and recently at Minney's Surplus are coming from the old factory in Woodland Hills, CA. Think they cleared out everything in the warehouse. For the future they will go where profit margins are greatest, which is probably power.

VFR750

Oct 18, 2021
Catalina 22 Sport Noank
Catalina is still building and delivering sailboats. I know of (3) that are in production right now. Based on a Springline Yacht Sales broker