Catalina Rendezvous 2018 Roche Harbor

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
Catalina Rendezvous 2018 Roche Harbor May 3-6
Thursday:

Roche dock wizards will assist you to the dock if you call in on the VHF on 78 or at phone number 800-586-3590. An attendant will come to register you at your boat for slip fees.
Recommend backing in for ease of access on and off your boat.
Registration in the tent with Lori Sorensen, Admiral of Jah Mon
Arrive: Relax!
4:00 PM Appy Hour! Fun for all and visits galore!
Friday:
10:00 AM
Customs and Border Patrol:

Customs and Border Patrol presentation, by Officer Kevin Holmes 1 hour
11:30 AM
MOB drill:
Man Overboard Drill, Actual man falling over from Jah Mon and retrieved a few times. ~3 hours. Maybe bring food and drink for a nautical picnic.
4:00 PM
Boat Hop:
Don Lucas, of Gailforce, is in charge of this. Sign up at registration. One boat hosts two other crews, then a horn sounds and we shift to a new host boat, maybe 3 shifts in all? TBD
8:00 PM:
Voyage around Vancouver Island presentation on a 42’, by Count Enrico
Saturday
9:00 AM
Coast Guard Auxilary:
A group briefing by Auxiliary Coast Guard inspectors prior to inspections, 30 minutes, scheduled for 9:00 AM Saturday May 5. Inspections over the day.
10:00 AM
Quinn Olson, of NW Rigging, Anacortes:

"You and your sailboat rig", What we see everyday, what you should look for in your rig
11:30 AM
Dr. Gideon Human, Safety at Sea:

Health Care on a boat, by Dr. Human, 1 hour
2:00 PM
Decorated Tender Contest and parade: Bring a decorated dinghy to your own theme. Entries accepted at registration
6:30 PM
Pot Luck Dinner in the tent
7:30 PM
Gift Exchange:
Ken and Rita Fischer of Solaria will be accepting gifts and awarding them. Bring your gift of ~$20 to their boat and sign up. Bring a gift and get one, bring two and get two, etc…
Election: Who is going to organize this event for next year?
7:45ish
NMEA 2000, 0183, and Signal K networking, by Leslie Troyer Signal K – is an open source application that takes various 0183, N2K, (serial & other) sources and confederates them into a single repository, that can be accessed using common methods. For example – with the correct signal K plugins and apps, I can control my Raymarine autopilot from an app running on my watch..
Sunday:
Departure and fond farewells, fair winds and gentle seas….

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
On our way in the AM. Finishing the painting. Stop at Fisheries for an outhaul pin. Up to the boat. Wash the boat down, change the fuel filter. Prep for overnight at Hope Ils.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Met up with John - slight change of plans - spending the night at the Deception Pass State Park at Cornet Bay - hopefully on one of the floating docks. Then shoot the pass at 7 kts - thankfully the current is with us - across Rosario Straight - and up the west side of San Juan Island to Mosquito Pass & on to Roche Harbor. John is going to just be there a short while but I plan on sticking around the whole time (John (@jssailem) really needs to retire so he can sail more). After the Rendezvous I'm still undecided - maybe Sucia, maybe Fishermans bay, but plan on at least a week of hitting various places - and pay for the State Moorage Permit I just got. Hope to see lots of you there. I'll have my strobe and some reflective tape for anyone who wants to calibrate their tachometer. I'm looking forward to the dinghy parade - John hit it out of the park on the fire boat, too bad he won't be there. I have a small gas pump to provide entertainment for the judges (unless they vote for us as the best!!!). The only negative so far is I had to remove a 1/2 rack of beer from the fridge to make room for some of the Wife's food, she will be joining me on Friday -> Sunday Morn.

This will be my longest trip on the boat - most of it solo - also a first.

Les

Oct 22, 2014
Sail on @LeslieTroyer.
Happy to be getting away for a couple of days. Looks like the breezes will not be like our Winter Cruise 2018. Weather call is for sunshine. Temps in the mid 60’s. A time to test my new prop.

Boat is again seaworthy. No fog planned for the morning so maybe the fishing boats will play nice and not cross our path.

Pictures to come as we head for Roche Harbor on the Inside Passage.

Oct 22, 2014
We made Roche Harbor at 13:00. A 5 hour cruise from Deception Passage State Park in Cornet Bay. Only sea life out were a couple of Cattle Point Sea Lions fishing the tidal rip as we crossed the south end of San Juan Island.
B4BDB789-E62B-4837-B7B4-60399E2182DA.jpeg

The wind was just on the nose and not until we edged north towards Haro Strait were we able to get the sail to help our cause.

Mosquito Passage was beautiful.
37CE5ED9-34A1-44CB-A9D8-0387BECD75CB.jpeg

My Crew Larry guided the boat through the narrow passage. We missed all the hazards.

Oct 22, 2014
Back home after a 4 day cruise to Roche Harbor. A wonderful time on the water. Temps in the 60’s. Plenty of blue sky and sunshine. Time to great old friends and meet new. Boat worked great. Water stayed on the out side. New prop proved it’s worth.
Happy happy happy...

@LeslieTroyer’s Mahalo riding the breeze in the Saratoga Passage
ABDE442D-A6E3-46DC-B302-458A5E8296C7.jpeg
The Roche Harbor setting is picturesque.
AA692710-80BE-422D-8EB6-D002F042E404.jpeg
The sight is complete with a statue garden dedicated to art forms of the green variety.
C64225C8-45E6-4656-885B-EADA3BE36B62.jpeg

May 20, 2016
Lots of great discussion and swapping of tall tails. Starting to break up this morning as people start heading home. @Stu Jackson and I are headed for Sucia Island in a couple hours to extend the adventure.

The team of Shepard, Jackson and Troyer took the decorated dinghy contest with a homelite powered “Fire Boat”. Stu managed to restrain himself and didn’t douse the viewing crowd nor did he put the hose between his legs to pretend to be peeing. We are so proud of his restraint.

Les

May 20, 2016
Just left @Stu Jackson this morning after a great side trip to Sucia Island. I picked up a mooring bouy in Fossel Bay and Stu rafted. Stu mad his famous spaghetti and meat balls for us. We took the dink to shore and explored a bit of the island. It was a bouncy night with out much sleep.

Stu departed for Bedwell Harbour and I motored to Friday Harbor. Had a great nap and going to bbq some burgers.
47046FA7-CA64-401B-90A7-F64CFAF7144C.jpeg

Oct 22, 2014
Great picture... A bit tilted... You must have been drinking the wine you won in the dinghy contest.

Oct 22, 2014
That is pretty. Such a blue sky. Interesting clouds. They look like they are getting blown out. But I don’t see any great wind in your next 24 hours.