Catalina or Jaguar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anna Bonthron

I'm wondering if my boat is a Catalina 22 or a Jaguar 22. I live in Gothenburg on the swedish west coast. Best regards /Anna

Attachments

S

steve

looks like a catalina

Hi - I own a catalina 22 and the sailboat in the picture you posted looks exactly like mine. I'd bet on a catalina 22. Good luck, Steve

D

David Williams

Wow, I didn't know about the Jaguar

Is the Jaguar 22 a European production of a Catalina 22? They do have different numbers: http://www.image-ination.com/sailcalc.html From the comparison, I like the Catalina better; it is a little faster with a longer waterline.

Jun 6, 2004
Catalina 27 Dennis
C 27'sin UK

I understand that the C-27's are also called Jaguars in UK,from a previous poster on the Catalina 27 forum Roger CapeCod

Jul 25, 2006
- - Blyth, Northumberland UK
Correct URL

It might have helped if I typed my URL correctly ! Try http://www.hastie.org.uk Interesting to know you are in Gothenberg. I often sail from Newcastle to Gothenberg (no, NOT in a Jaguar 22, but on the DFDS Seaways ferry service). How about a swap for a couple of weeks??? The approaches to Gothenberg always look so inviting for sailing ! 8:) Ken

A

Al Hughes

Catalina 22 names

Hi I have an oold Catalina 22 #81 that I bought new in 1970. The Catalina 22, in the 70s and 80s became so popular the the catalina 22 was manufactured in three countries USA, UK, and Australia. USA was the Catalina 22, the UK/Europe was the Jaguar, and Australia was Alarica. I believe that there were only a few Alarica's made. I believe that I have the name Alarica correct or something that sounds like it. Fair winds AL

A

Al Hughes

Alacrity

Good Day, Ken Thanks for the clarification, It has been a long time ago for that name. I have not seen Alacrity for about 30 years. I guess that some are still around. Thanks again AL

Jul 25, 2006
- - Blyth, Northumberland UK
Alacrity still around

Indeed yes, they are still around. They regularly come up on ebay Uk or the Boats and Outboards (UK) website. In fact they come up so regularly, I thought they must have been manufactured in the UK. Further research on the Jaguar Owners Association website does indicate the early 'Catalina 22' models made in the UK under licence used the names Vivacity or Alacrity, until they quickly became marketed under the name 'Jaguar'. (I have a 1980 Jaguar 22). I quote from one particular post: " bought a 'J22' last year and it too has a AY sail logo (Nbr 3832). I spent a bit of effort trying to reconcile the discrepancy but never quite got a definitive answer - my 'understanding' is that the J22 and Alacrity are the same boat. The design was licenced from Catalina Yachts in the USA by Eric Birch who initially started marketing them as Alacrity (the Vivacity was already in production) but soon changed to using the Jaguar name. So, I think the sail should fit, but I'd check the measurement! If anyone has solid info on the development of the name or differences between the two I'd be keen to hear about it - one does like to be confident about the type of boat one is sailing - it would be right bummer to be contadicted in a pub one night or worse - expelled from the JOA as an impostor!"

Status
Not open for further replies.