Catalina MKI 42 1989 listing to starboard?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 30_74-83 Bradenton FL
I purchased a 1989 Catalina 42 MK I, with a shoal draft keel last year, after filling the fuel tank I noticed a slight list to starboard. The fuel tank is in the starboard after quarter berth, so I searched and noticed the water tanks on the port side where empty, so I filled them thinking this would balance it all out, nope.
I was wondering does anyone else have this issue with their Catalina 42 MK I shoal draft, and if so what you did? Thank you.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
That's a common complaint with Catalinas, they list a little to the battery side. Typically, new owners notice and the rest of us have forgotten about it over time. Personally, I have not put a level on my boat, or measured center cleat to water, but I'll be she's listing a little right now. If you take her out in the bay with some sails on, I'll bet you forget about the slight list after a few minutes of smiling! :)

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 30_74-83 Bradenton FL
Thank you, some great ideas. Batteries are on the port side, so I may triple them up for extra weight & power. Beer in the ice box (starboard) is low, and we ran out of vodka, all kept in the galley. Parsons in Ft Pierce, may be right, I'm in Bradenton, FL the winds are great and the sailing fine.
Stu, I need to get onto the Catalina 42 owners association, I'll google it up. Thank you.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Ask the admiral(politely)to sit on the other side for a while.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I have a definite list to port side. Based on the scum line that I measured last fall, it is about 2". I haven't figured this out because tankage is either centerline (2) or to starboard (2). Batteries are on the starboard side and pretty far outboard as well (under settee). I really can't find anything heavier on the port side. Is it intentional over-compensation based on the plan to put most of the heavy stuff on the starboard side? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Don't need any jokes about where people are sitting. It is obvious to see when I stand directly behind the boat from a distance and nobody is on board.