Catalina Island Locked Down

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Got a notice that Catalina is barring uses of moorings, transient and leased, until further notice. Bottom line is that they want no visitors out of a concern that their limited medical resources could become overrun. While I doubt they have the legal authority to do this, I suspect none of us would want to challenge it given the dire circumstances at the moment.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Got a notice that Catalina is barring uses of moorings, transient and leased, until further notice. Bottom line is that they want no visitors out of a concern that their limited medical resources could become overrun. While I doubt they have the legal authority to do this, I suspect none of us would want to challenge it given the dire circumstances at the moment.
Can you provide a reference for this?

I just sent an e-mail to a good friend of mine who is a senior Avalon Harbor Patrol officer to see what he has to say about it.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Sure. Look up on FB Two Harbors Catalina Island. Scroll down the posts. You will find it.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Rick Is correct. They don't want anybody over there.

But a dingy raft up in Emerald with a few friends keeping their 6 foot distance sounds pretty good right now.

Nov 22, 2011
Sure. Look up on FB Two Harbors Catalina Island. Scroll down the posts. You will find it.
I'm not on FB. But I Googled it and went to this link: https://www.facebook.com/pg/twoharborscatalinaisland/posts/ The most recent posts I see are from 2019. Maybe I need a FB account to see the others? (That ain't gonna happen.)

Any way you could cut and paste the post(s) in question so I can see them? Thanks.

Nov 22, 2011
FWIW, I just checked the Catalina Island Chamber of Commerce site. Admittedly this is for Avalon and not Two Harbors, but on this page I read the following:

Avalon Harbor Dept. is closed to the public. Please call 310-510-0535 or use VHF radio or if in person, push the button at the bottom of the stairs for assistance. Mooring fees will be collected at individual boats by Harbor Patrol.

Perhaps Two Harbors is different? Maybe the Chamber of Commerce site hasn't been updated? I wonder....

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The notice I read said, in addition, that Catalina Express is suspending service to Two Harbors & the village of Two Harbors is essentially closed down. Did not mention Avalon specifically, other than saying that all moorings are closed unless you are on one now. In which case, don’t come ashore, etc. The “hospital” in Avalon is tIny. Maybe a dozen beds..

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2011
Just got this text from my friend Ron at Avalon Harbor Patrol:
Two harbors is shut down, not here yet. Chamber and City discouraging visitors. Everything else is closed!

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
We have gotten a couple of messages from other Gulf Islands and a couple of small towns saying to come visit when times are better but please stay away now. That is inline with the Feds saying we shouldn't do any unnecessary travelling.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We here in Oregon are about to have spring break with the kids out of school. Yesterday was a beautiful spring day. Folks were walking about, groceries were not in full supply, stores were limiting the number of people in the store with a line outside people loosely spaced 3-5 feet apart. 1 out 1 in.

Rumor is Governor to announce an “in house lockdown” today. No non-essential outside activity. This will be interesting.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Here is what I copied. It read like it was all of Catalina, but probably applies outside of Avalon Harbor (different jurisdiction):
Two Harbors, Catalina Island

March 20 at 3:19 PM ·
Custom

We know how much you love Catalina Island, but in this challenging time, we are asking anyone who is not a primary resident of Two Harbors or the west end NOT to visit for the time being. The healthcare facilities on Catalina lack the capacity to handle a widespread outbreak of COVID-19. This is even more challenging for the small, remote community of Two Harbors.
Health and government officials are recommending social distancing, and while Catalina might seem like the perfect place for that, the reality is that visiting us right now risks lives. Additionally, services across all of Catalina are extremely limited. Specifically, in the Two Harbors area, Banning House Lodge & Villas, Harbor Reef Restaurant, all campgrounds and other public spaces are temporarily closed due to State and County-mandated orders. Furthermore, Catalina Express will not provide boat service to or from Two Harbors after Sunday, March 22.
Catalina Island Company is following Governor Gavin Newsom’s Stay at Home Order by:
• Notifying existing mooring lessees and yacht clubs not to visit the island or utilize moorings
• Strongly discouraging individuals currently moored from coming ashore
• Recommending that boats seeking transient moorings return to the mainland
In addition, due to the Stay at Home Order, there are limited Dive Services available to assist boaters in emergency situations.
This is a difficult message to send, but we are asking that you respect our community and our request to stay home for now. We’ll all be able to enjoy the island again sooner rather than later if we all pull together and do the right things during this health crisis.
@ryanblackstock

Nov 22, 2011
Here is what I copied. It read like it was all of Catalina, but probably applies outside of Avalon Harbor (different jurisdiction):
At the time of my post #8 it DEFINITELY did not apply to Avalon. My friend Ron is one of the supervisory officers at Avalon Harbor Patrol and is involved in collecting the mooring fees, among other things. He absolutely knows first hand what is going on. Of course, that can all change on a dime.

Personally, several days ago I had been toying with the idea of sailing over, picking up a mooring, and just staying on the boat. But I nixed that idea for other reasons: weather, tending to stuff at the house, too busy hoarding toilet paper (just kidding!), etc. etc. And yes, the healthcare facilities are pretty limited over there. The decision at Two Harbors makes sense to me. I would not be surprised if Avalon followed suit. I guess we'll see.

Nov 22, 2011
Just got this text from my harbor patrol friend: As of last night (3/25) the Avalon City Council closed Avalon Harbor to all "transient boaters" (visitors).

So, what was already true of Two Harbors is now true of Avalon.