catalina halyard

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mark kosier

I am trying to find out if anyone can tell me if I can replace the rope to wire halyard on a Catalina 25, 1984 with a rope halyard for the headsail. I have not inspected the sheeves at the mast head. Thought I would give this forum a try. I can also be reached at mkosier@mindspring.com. thanks.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Probably

You really need to inspect the sheaves to see if they're compatible but even if they aren't you can always get replacement sheaves (catalina direct probably has them in stock). Don't hesitate to do this - you'll love the difference it makes! LaDonna

A

Aldo

I'm Doing It Now

Mark: I asked the same question a few weeks ago in this fourm relative to my C-22. Catalina Direct does sell kits to do what you are asking for the C-22, and they seem reasonable for what they are selling. They probably also offer a kit for the C-25. I only wanted to change the jib sheet, not the main and the jib sheet, so I decided to make my own sheaves out of delrin. I have a little lathe and it wasn't much of a problem. The original sheaves were made for 1/8 inch diameter S.S. wire (for the C-22). Catalina Direct uses 1/4 inch diameter line, very high tensile strenght, for their kit. What I did was use 5/16 diameter line,(Sta-Set X)and made the two sheaves for the jib halyard wider, to corespond to this diameter line. I changed the thickness of the aluminum spacer that separates the main and jib halyard sheaves, to .025 thick Stainless Steel, from 1/8 inch aluminum. This is where I picked-up the extra room for the larger diameter line. I used the existing main sheaves. I really don't have any problem with the wire halyard for the main, so this solution seemed to make the most economical sense to me. Aldo

Status
Not open for further replies.