Catalina Capri 16.5

Mark N

Jun 15, 2021
Catalina Capri 16.5 hilo
Has anyone found a good boat cover for a Capri 16.5 stored in the water, fully rigged (mast, shrouds & forestay all up)?
I want to cover the entire cockpit, must be able to install & remove the cover while afloat, anchored.
Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

Find one here for $562: Capri 16.5 Mooring Cover -- One Design Sailboat Covers -- The Sailors Tailor, Inc.
It is a full deck over-boom cover with zipper running from the mast to sidestay and flap that snaps over zipper with stand up mast collar with draw cord closure. Flaps snap around stays to protect chain plates from water seepage and shade deck from UV discoloring in the stay areas. Cover has 5/16" elastic shock cord in hem and have tie-down points. Protects sails left flaked over boom during mooring. It can be provided with a topping lift hole.
1623855268836.png

OR here for $412: Capri 16.5 Mast Up Tented Cover - Sailboat Mooring Cover - SLO Sail and Canvas
The mast up tented cover will completely enclose your Capri 16.5 deck, protecting your boat it from the elements with the mast up and the boom parallel to the deck. Cover fits snugly below the rub rail of the hull to seal out dirt and water. The cover installs securely with an elastic cord and ten tie down points. This cover is installed with the mast and boom up and has five cutouts: one for the mast, two for the shrouds, one for the forestay and one to attach a halyard to the end of the boom. The mast cutout has a tall collar with a tie closure and a large #10 YKK zipper is used between the mast base cutout and the starboard shroud cutout for ease of use and durability. The zipper is also covered with a flap of fabric to increase UV resistance. The forestay and the shrouds have Velcro flap closures. This cover features two vents to help prevent moisture build up inside the cover; one vent is located on the rear vertical surface above the transom and the other is between the mast and the forestay and features a grommet which can be used to tie the covering flap to the forestay.
1623856682740.png

Last edited:

Mark N

Jun 15, 2021
Catalina Capri 16.5 hilo
Wonderful - Mahalo, sail sfbay!!
I found a local upholsterer who quoted me nearly $600 for a cockpit-only cover, but I think both the sailortailor and slo ideas look better.
Again, Thank You!
Mark N
Hilo

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Please post a photo with the boat cover with the mast up on a mooring.