Catalina bilge question

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James

Just purchased a 22 ft Catalina. Previous owner did not know where bilge pump was located. Can someone point me in the right direction to find it? Thanks James savage1@ricochet.com

B

Bob B.

???

Hello James: I think that you have been had! It probably does't have one, especially if the PO didn't know where it is. Don't feel bad, mine doesn't have one either. Regards Bob B.

T

The Saint

Bilge Pump!?

Bob Your bilge pump is probably in stock at Catalina Direct or West Marine. A small hand pump will probably be enough for removing excess spray or rain water, or seepage by your retractable keel cable or lock. Even a large sponge and a bucket may be enough. If you're finding lotsa water "down there" perhaps checking for a leak or crack will be in order. Happy sailing

B

Bob B.

No Bilge Pump!

Hello Saint I've never talked to a Saint before!! Yes my pump is still on the shelf & that's where it will stay. I never get more than a few drops of water in my 1980 C22. I recaulked my windows, greased the keel lockdown bolt (never use it), epoxied SS drains into the cockpit floor & use a homemade cabin cover which also covers the companionway weather boards when not using the boat. The few drops that do collect around the keel cable volcano opening are mopped up with a sponge. You folks with the longer sailing season are the fortunate ones. My happy sailing season won't start again until May! Happy sailing to you, Bob B.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
Bob

Bob: I had a similar problem a few years ago on my 1980 C-22. I first thought that the water was coming from my port cockpit drain, and it probably was, but after I fixed that I still got a little water collecting just in front of the battery. Over the next 2 summers it got progressively worse. The worst that I ever saw it was about 1 1/2 inches after 2 weeks. I discussed this issue on this forum, and ordered a seacock to replace the thru-hull valve, that I thought was leaking. I also thought that the leak could have been from the threads on the thru-hull valve. The actual cause of the problem was that the brass pipe that comes through the hull for the cockpit drains was not sealed well to the hull, and water was coming in around the outside of the brass pipe. I sealed this with thin epoxy and some fiberglass cloth, and the bilge was completely dry all last summer. I think that I wrote about this after I made that repair. I hope that this message helps you or someone else who might be trying to figure out where the water is coming from when they get a little puddle in front of their battery. Aldo

R

R Kolb

Large sponge

A large sponge and a bucket should do it. Since you have no propeller shaft going through the hull you should have no water in the bilge. If you do have water then you need to find the source and fix it. Let us know if you have leaks since we have all battled those! Common places are windows, some deck fittings and - for me - the lower gudgeons (what the rudder pins go into). Randy

B

Bob B.

Aldo

Hello Aldo: Yes I have used the archieves & seen your posts. The amount of info there is amazing! Newcomers to this forum don't seem to use this source. Maybe because they are not aware of it. Also it does seem a bit tricky until one tries it. On the other hand it is kind of nice to "talk" to someone. Having said that, I have a question which has been addressed a trillion times, sort of. My 1980 C22 swimg keel (hull #9102) does not have a keel cable turning ball & does not have a hole in the steel/iron fitting that is glassed into the volcano. This turning ball pin or shaft hole would be visible after removing the hose clamped to this steel fitting. Under the volcano, the hull is angled away so that the cable just barely touches the hull. I understand it would be much better if it did not touch but it has barely left a mark on the hull at some time. Maybe now it is not touching because I did some work on it about 12 years ago. Just recently, this summer, I learned about the friggin turning ball through this forum. David from Oshkosh & others were kind enough to help me out on that one. I have seen the drawings showing its location etc. I was wondering what hull number is your 1980 C22? The Catalina was built under license in the UK, maybe in Canada too? My hull number plate is aluminum & located on the inside of the transom. Could some modification have been made to the volcano/hull to eliminate the need for the friggin turning ball? I installed a SS ball valve on the through hull 12 years ago & am wondering about electrolysis corrosion on the pipe? Regards, Bob B.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
Bob

Bob: I agree with you that it is nice to have someone to talk to, even if the same question is being asked that was already discussed many many times. At least it lets us know that people are interested in their C-22s and in taking good care of them. I have received some great advice from this forum, and it has made me feel more comfortable on some of the little boat projects that I have undertaken. My hull number is 9285. It’s a 1980 that we actually purchased in late 1979. I have never taken my turning ball out. I have purchased a replacement one, but when I replaced the cable, I checked the movement of the cable, and it was fine so I figured that it was OK. I did this by having the boat suspended by slings inside a truck garage. I could easily lower and raise the keel all the way, so I figured that I didn’t have a problem. I do this every year when I paint hull and the keel. I DO know that it is possible to put the cable on the wrong side of the turning ball, and that it must go through the groove on the stern side of the turning ball. It is because of this fact that I can say that I am rather sure that my C-22 DOES have a turning ball. (The first time I ever realized that there even was a turning ball for the cable was the first time I paged through a Catalina Direct catalog, at a Catalina 22 fleet picnic. I was surprised to see this myself.) I don’t understand why your boat doesn’t have a turning ball, or isn't cross drilled for one. I’m in my shop writing this message, so I just looked for the extra turning ball that I mentioned above, and after about an hour, I found it. I attached a photo. It is about 1 1/4 inch in diameter, and the hole through it is slightly bigger than 1/4 inch, ~.261. I think that you should call Catalina Direct and ask them what you should do. This time of year, or after Christmas, they will probably have plenty of time to talk to you. (I called them last spring, and they were busy at that time). I think that’s part of what you pay them for when you purchase something there. Relative to your last question about the SS Ball valve, I replaced the seacock to the cockpit drains last year, and that pipe looked like new. Our boat has been in brackish water for at least 15 summers of it’s 24 years. (I replaced the brass or bronze valve that came with the boat with a plastic ball valve last spring). My only concern about the SS one that you used might be Galvanic corrosion of the brass pipe that goes through the hull. Galvanic corrosion is, of course, caused by dissimilar metals, but I don’t think that brass and stainless steel are too far apart on the Galvanic series, so I’m not too worried about a problem. I’m sorry I don’t have exactly the answers that I think you were looking for, but maybe someone else reading this will. Aldo

B

Bob B.

Thanks Aldo

for the info & the turning ball picture. A picture is worth a thousand words. For some reason, I assumed the ball to be smaller. Having seen your picture & your ball description, I can see that once the cable is threaded into the groove, it cannot slip out because of the limited clearance between ball & steel or iron "pipe" that is glassed into the volcano. Again, on this forum, I have seen reference to a brass pipe (not to be confused with the brass pipe for the cockpit drain through hull in the sole) which is cross drilled for the the turning ball pin or shaft. If Catalina installed a brass pipe for this ball mounting, & mine is steel or iron, then mine is an odd ball. My steel piece has a couple of low ridges to ensure a good seal where the large diameter hose is clamped to it & it has no cross drilling for the pin. Other viewers are welcomed to comment, brass or steel pipe!! Regarding the galvanic corrosion thing, I have a home made SS pin pressed into my Keel?? I think the original is phosphor bronze or similar alloy. Not knowing any better, I installed my keel hangar bearing blocks (12 years ago) as I removed them, upside down. I don't see any problem, the keel is about an inch lower than proper. I could reverse them but when I installed them, I packed epoxy putty around them for lateral support. I didn't like the look of four 5/16" cap screws taking any lateral shock. Also I installed zerk fittings in the bearings. Thanks again, Bob B.

T

tom b.

had a bilge pump when i bought it...

was it an option that catalina installed for ya when you purchased a new one or was it something people installed themselves. I did replace mine as it looked a little worse for wear, mostly due to its age tho, not really from use. Mine is/was located about six inches away from the volcano. I have had some water collect down there, but i believe that was just from the water coming from the lockdown bolt, which i did not grease up..oops ,i knew i forgot somethin...

Status
Not open for further replies.