Catalina 387 in mast roller reef problem

Feb 4, 2014
catalina 387 Hollywood, MD
2006 Catalina 387. In-mast reefing. When I attempt to unroll the main it back lashes and won't come out. I have to pull it back in and then go on deck and shake the sail as it comes out to prevent the backlash. I tried retrieving the sail with a little outhaul back pressure and with lots of back pressure. Doesn't seem to matter it just hangs up about halfway out. I tried with the boom loose and not tight. With lots of wind I can leave it and it will come out by itself but seems like days with lots of wind are not found often. Any ideas?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Is it the original main? If so at 13 years it might be a little blown out, and the extra draft causing the hangups. Our RF main occasionally hangs up like that, especially if we try to unfurl while off the wind, but we've always been able to clear it by rolling it back in and then out again.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
This is impossible since in mast roller furling systems work perfectly all the time in all conditions. My 13 year old grand daughter could reef it in 25 knots with one hand tied behind her back. You never have to seek shelter from wind to dampen the violent flogging of the sail as you try to crank in with one hand and give small amounts of slack with the other. And you don't have to worry about a block exploding inches from your head as a result of that flogging. They are more safe than halyard raised mainsails since you don't have to go forward to ... wait, what? You have to do that anyway? Kidding aside I think the MAJOR problems I had with mine were due a baggy mainsail and/or full length vertical battens. Does that explain the full length battens carving up my dodger? Well no. Yeah, I loved that system.

galynd

Nov 1, 2009
Beneteau 36cc port arthur, tx
Spray lubricant (teflon, etc.) on the boom where the car rides. Also spray the bearings in the mast, the best you can. Make sure the main halyard is not too tight Unfurl with wind coming from correct direction.

May 26, 2004
Catalina 380 New Castle, NH
I have a 2000 380 with in-mast furling. I have found a few things that make it much easier. I haven't had to go on deck since I started using them. First, the main sail needs to be wrapped pretty tightly around the furler to prevent it from bagging out and jamming in the mast slot as it unfurls. To wrap it tight, I have one turn of the main around the cabin top winch so that I keep tension on the main as I am grinding the furling line on the other cabin top winch. I have also found that the boom uphaul needs to have the boom at a just-so angle to the mast for sail to furl evenly into the mast. You will have to play with it a bit to see where the sail furls without wrinkles. When you find that spot, then I suggest marking the uphaul line with rigging tap forward of the line lock. If you do that, you can release the uphaul while you are sailing, if you want, and still the set it to facilitate furling when you need (although I don't usually mess with the uphaul). I agree that an older main sail will be baggier and more difficult to furl; however, the things I've suggested worked pretty well even when I still had the 16-year-old main. I hope that this information helps.

Jun 4, 2009
Catalina 309 Swantown Marina Olympia, WA
My 206 C309 had the Selden inmast system and had to keep some tension on the outhaul to stop the jamming in mast from a bagging main. I think if you follow John Gilbert's suggestions you will probably solve your problem.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I find the the key to unfurling and furling the sail without it getting stuck in the mast is to keep the sail tight in the mast during furling operation to avoid it fluffing / bunching up in the mast with the boom vang and main sheet released so the leach has little or no tension. This is particularly important for a partial battened mainsail and I have both. My Hunter 46 Selden furling mast furler drum rotates clockwise during furl out and visa versa during furl in. This requires a slight starboard tack and tension on the outhaul or furler in line during furling operation to keep the sail tight in the mast. Unfurl out by winching the outhaul line out while maintaining slight tension on the furl in line. Furler in by winching the furler inline while maintaining slight tension on the outhaul.

Consider downloading your specific furling mast manual for frling in/out instructions.

The link to the thread below may provide some additional insight on same subject.