Catalina 385 weight?

Oct 17, 2024
Catalina 385 Detroit Yacht Club
I just hauled my Catalina 385 (hull 44) and the crane load cell indicated approximately 19,500 pounds. The spec for this wing keel boat is 16,500 pounds. The boat is completely empty except for a full tank of diesel (approx 300 pounds). Immediately after hauling out my boat, the same crane and load cell got my friends 15,000 pound boat correct within a couple hundred pounds. Is there a chance Catalina has mis-stated the boat’s displacement. I observe that the Catalina 380 is listed with a weight of around 19,000 pounds. The main reason I care is that it could impact where I store my boat during winter. Oh, and my PHRF rating!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Well on PHRF, I don't think displacement has anything to do with it. But I guess if your particular boat is more heavy than others of the same build you might be racing with a unfavorable number. My understanding is that a PHRF handicapping committee wouldn't adjust your rating based on displacement. If you can show a history of losing to the same boats you might get some time. It could also be said that your heavier displacement is an advantage if you can carry more sail in higher wind. Whatever is argued, it's a Performance based rating system.
I don't really think a builder would deliberately understate the displacement - for a lot of reasons. But it's hard to say how the scale would read that different from the published displacement.
About the only thing I could think of is a replacement keel. If a PO replaced or modified the keel you might see that much difference. It's not in the tankage, or batteries or water absorption.

Apr 1, 2004
Catalina 34 Herring Bay Chesapeake, MD
Your 15.5K is/ was design weight. the 19.5k is actual assume travel lift or whatever was weight calibrated. As an FYI my C34 MK1 had a design weight of approximately 12.5K but multiple travel lifts showed 16.5-17.7K. Try checking out catalina380.org