Catalina 385 or 375

Aug 25, 2019
catalina 385 Northport, NY
HI. im considering both as a September purchase. of course the 385 is newer. one im considering is a 2014. i would like any feedback on either boat. 375 has electric winches for the jenny. 385 only for main sail.
one thing i noticed on the 385 is there seemed to be a lack of cockpit storage. 375 had much more. Also, generally how long do those monsher batteries last. so if anyone can comment on that as well as anything else it would be greatly appreciated

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Also, generally how long do those monsher batteries last.
I've gotten 5 years each out of two pairs of 4D FLA batteries, one of mine died Saturday, I'm getting some new AGM's tomorrow. I hope/expect 6-10 years out of the AGM's, last set I had a couple decades ago lasted exactly 10 years.
FLA's are about $300 each, AGM more like $600 but I think I'm getting a couple for $450, won't count on that until they're in the back of my truck.

May 28, 2015
Catalina 385 Long Branch, NJ
I own the 385 Hull 61 ... best boat I’ve ever owned. Not sure on the cockpit storage difference. The 375 was essentially the 36 which I also owned. 2nd best boat I’ve ever had. The 385 sails like a dream and includes virtually every suggestion made by the 36 owners group. You really can’t go wrong with either but the 385 is a bit more room inside, I believe a bit larger head, a bit more displacement, more seakindly, and the helm station is fantastic. The winches are set a bit more aft from my 36 and the aft seats are flat making for a very comfortable aft bench. Can’t speak to whether these design changes made it to the 375 or not. I can easily single hand the 385 even with guests aboard ... couldn’t do that with my 36.

May 28, 2015
Catalina 385 Long Branch, NJ
I forgot to add that I’m at my 4th anniversary with the original batteries. They are starting to feel their age but doing okay. Just started getting some gassing after extended periods on anchor/mooring this season. Planning my next generation ... I could probably get one or two more years out of them dockside but cruising/mooring I will be challenging them.

Aug 25, 2019
catalina 385 Northport, NY
thanks. i have been thinking about changing the batteries right after i close since they are now 6 years old. Do you plan on getting the AGM's? Seems like they are double the price?

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
HI. im considering both as a September purchase. of course the 385 is newer. one im considering is a 2014. i would like any feedback on either boat. 375 has electric winches for the jenny. 385 only for main sail.
one thing i noticed on the 385 is there seemed to be a lack of cockpit storage. 375 had much more. Also, generally how long do those monsher batteries last. so if anyone can comment on that as well as anything else it would be greatly appreciated
While some sailors seem to go un-prosecuted for "battery murder", everyone with a decent installation and good maintenance practices should get about 9 years out of the set. Sez who? Well, sez only me, because we have been doing that for several decades. Trojan golf cart, flooded batteries.
They are SO Darned Heavy that we hate lifting them in and out. :(
If replacing, buy top quality and take care of them faithfully... :)

Some Calalina's have designed-in battery storage that makes changing from 4D to golf cart sizing difficult, but do so if you can.
Also note that a change in battery chemistry will usually require a change in charging equipment, so do not underestimate the total cost.

Sep 10, 2007
Catalina 309 Lake Tahoe
I am considering a 2009 375, but the head doors do not close properly.
Anyone know why and what the cause may be?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I am considering a 2009 375, but the head doors do not close properly.
Anyone know why and what the cause may be?
Is the boat in the water or on the hard? It’s not unusual for a boat hull to twist while on the hard enough for problems like that. Generally the hull straightens back out once in the water. There could be other causes too, for example rig over-tightening, so it could deserve more inspection, but it’s not necessarily too bad.