Catalina 380 Leaking Chain Plate

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
As promised some photos of my leaking chain plate. It was the forward lower port side chain plate. I noted that water was collecting behind the settee in the salon on the port side in one of the compartments behind the cushions. I was curious so I started looking and found the chain plate fitting on the deck was at fault. The first photo is of the deck from outside then inside. The third photo is all of the hardware laid out including the deck fitting. The last photo is the 'wedge washer" that I had to purchase new from Catalina. The price was reasonable for the amount of work that had to be done. The washer arrived today in the mail. I have nothing but good things to say about the factory response to my problem. The engineer called me several times to make sure they got it right and that I understood the process to reinstall the chain plate.

Attachments

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
Thanks Stu...I actually already printed out the pertinent details of MS's presentation and bought two boxes of Butyl tape from his website. It is not what Catalina suggested and not what they do but then again, they didn't countersink the holes either. I plan on doing each chain plate one at a time to ensure that no further leaks develop. The nice thing about using his method in my mind is no further need to tighten...let it sit...tighten again....and NO FURTHER LEAKS. I'll post the photos as I put it all together and I'll take another look at the C34 page. The chain plates are for the most part much the same. Thanks for the info.