Catalina 38 Sloop

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark

I am in the market for my first sailboat. After looking for some time, I am concentrating on a used, late 70's - early 80's Catalina Sloop. Does anyone have any experience with these models? They seem to be a good value. I will use it mostly in the Puget Sound and some West Coast cruising. Is this model strong enough for offshore sailing? Thanks for any information you can give me... :)

J

James

First Class

Mark, The Catalina 38 is one of the greatest production sailboats ever (IMHO). She was designed by Sparkman and Stevens after the lines of Yankee, and is a sweet sailer. She's so fast she won the Newport to Ensenada race the first year in production, and still shows pretty well, even though PHRF really penalized her after Ensenada. I think the 38's lines are among the prettiest ever drawn. She sails well in light or heavy air. No longer in production, she is still available by special order. Like all Catalinas, I would definetly glass the bulkheads in (to the hull liner) for offshore work. Also, you would probably want to re-rig, get your riggers opinon, too, on whether to upsize the wire diameter for offshore. Alot of Catalina 38's have made the run to Cabo and Hawaii. All-in-all, a great boat and dollar value, especially if you find one that's been well cared for. Go for it.

M

Mark

Thanks James...From Mark

James, Thank you for your response! I fell in love with the Catalinas lines, and really liked the cockpit room. A few weeks ago I was at Roche Harbor(San Juans) testing a 72' Carter Offshore 37, that had a tiller. It took up about 3/4 of the cockpit area. Along with blisters and leaks, I had to decline. It was set up for racing and I think I am more of a cruising type. Looking around the docks, I spotted a Catalina 38 and that's when I became very interested. It was nice to get your positive response! There is a boat show at Lake Union, Washington the second week of September that I hope will have a few Catalina's to look at! Thanks again... :) Mark

L

Lansing

We have a 1983 model and it's a great boat. It sails beautifully!! We are the second owner and it was totally redone by the previous owner so it's practically brand new with many upgrades. We don't have any experience off shore with her. You'd have to make a few modifications. I also feel that the "Catalina companionway" opening could become a hazard in certain conditions. But for what we use her for-we love her. She's a beauty with the tumblehull and we get constant comments. I'm sure you've heard it before, but the boat is really a very fast sailer. Unfortunately the 24hp engine is very underpowered. Motoring into a head wind with any kind of current or tide, you're lucky to get 3 knots forward, if that. She sails so well that we can do better time tacking back and forth than motoring straight. I wouldn't be very comfortable with that engine offshore. Besides that I highly recommmend her. Good luck

M

Mark

Thanks Lansing...From Mark

Just a note to say "thanks" for the information! I have a couple of more questions if you don't mind... what is the potential problem with the cabin way? The 24 hp does sound a little small for the boat size, was that a standard engine? I not sure what a "tumble hull" is? What do you think a fair price is for this year of Catalina? Thanks again! Take care, Mark :)

J

Jerry & Cathy

A great NW cruiser/racer

We have an 86 model and we love it. It is plenty fast for our Fri. night racing series, yet its comfortable for exetended vacations (4 weeks is our max so far). In our opinion the major challenge we face for cruising is the limited amout of fresh water. It was designed as an off shore race boat after all. We cruise Puget Sound and the parts north. The boat handles very well in a seaway. Even crossing the Straits of Georgia when its kicked up the boat handles well. One thing we realy like about the boat is the low free board as it allows height challenged crew to step and not jump to the dock. The diesel is a little undersize by todays standards but it will push the boat to hull speed and at a more comfortable cruising RPM we maintain 6.5 to 6.75 knots. One of the first things we did was increase the size of the primary winches since we usualy only have two of us on board. We are the second owners and ours was not sailed much so we had to upgrade a lot of the go fast stuff. The other major consideration for a Cat 38 is its draft. At almost 7 feet it does keep you on your toes, but realy not a big problem in the NW. We think its a great boat hope you find a nice one. P.S. If the Cat you saw in Roche Harbor was in late Sept last year it might of been us.

M

Mark

Thanks Jerry & Cathy...From Mark

Dear Jerry & Cathy, I am getting some great information from Cat 38 owners like you! Each owner speaks very highly of their boat, which is very encouraging to me! I really appreciate the good and bad info(24 hp motor seems small). I will be at Lake Union the boat show for a few days between September 15-19. I'm hoping there are some older Cats there to look over! If you know of any older Cats for sell, let me know! My e-mail address is: firediver911@hotmail.com Hope to talk with you more! Mark... :)

L

Lansing

38 sloop

I refer to the companionway because it is so big that in some situations you could take alot of water into the cabin under blue water conditions. "Jerry & Cathy" referred to the need for more fresh water - we have two additional flexible water tanks under the port and starbard seats in the main cabin bringing our water capacity to 100 gallons. The hull design is called a tumblehull where it 'bellies' out midship. This is designed to make the boat heel less and therefore go faster. I don't know if you know the history of the boat (if not e-mail me and I'll try to answer any other questions you may have at Lansing1@aol.com). This is our second season with the boat and we can't get over how really great she sails.

D

Darrell Erickson

S&S Hull

A great boat. My wife and I have had 17 boat between us, from Trailerables and Swedish built wooden boats to Swans. Although not the quality construction of the latter, our Cat 38 has proven to be an excellent handling boat, she's balanced in most points of sail and she's fast. As she's a sailboat (and a fast one) and not a powerboat, engine power is not a major concern. She's a great racer - we have not cruised our boat yet but there are many modifications required before we do so. I agree that she's a great value. One problem I am concerned with is the steering. After a recent race, I was talking with the skipper of another Cat 38 and he advised me that both he and another Cat 38 skipper had lost steering due to cable failure (one on the way to Hawaii). My steering is tight and I'm planning on replacing it in the near future. Good luck. Sassy

M

Mark Gale

38 History

What's the history of the 38? Is the current 380 the same hull? When did they switch to different layouts? Are there a lot around? Thanks.

M

Michael McCann

Catalina 38 History

Mark: The Catalina 38 is a design by Sparkman, and Stephens. They are well known for designs that took advantage of the 'IOR' racing category. The Catalina 380 is a design by Catalina Yachts, and is more 'today'! The 38 has a reputation for being unruly off the wind with a following sea. This is due mainly to the hull design, and the powerful sail plan. The 38 probably has the typical variations inside as the other models, mainly in the main cabin and the dining area. Hope this helps. Lastly, I believe the shape of the hull has large amount of 'tumblehome'. I'm not sure of the spelling, but I am sure it doesn't end with ull. Michael McCann

J

J. Dalton joenandria@earthlink.net

A lot of bang for the buck

Although the Catalina 38 seems like a lot of boat for a first sailboat, at least you won't soon grow out of it! To clarify the history, I believe the 38 was designed FOR Yankee by S&S as the Yankee 38, and when Yankee went belly-up in the late 70's, Catalina bought the hull mold, gave it a new deck mold and interior, and voila, we have the Catalina 38! The IOR rule seemed to favor curvaceous lines, so the 38 has rather pointy ends, and as others have noted, noticeable "tumblehome" amidships. All in all, a very pretty design which never fails to elicit comments. The lack of volume aft, however, does adversely affect the handling with following seas off the wind, so it will never track as well in those situations as the 380, with it's beam carried well aft, which also provides room for the aft cabin and wide, step-through transom. I think the boats ability to track on the wind and speed and stability in that mode more than makes up for any off-wind deficiency! As for its suitability for Puget Sound and NW coastal cruising, assuming the rig is sound, it will withstand weather much worse than you will feel comfortable being out in!! In short, a used Catalina 38 that has been well maintained is a lot of bang for the buck, and will take you just about anywhere you want to go in style! By the way, mine is an '82, hull# 170! Good Luck!

M

Michael McCann

Catalina Rendezvous

Mark; There is a rendezvous in Port Orchard this week end. I do not know how many, if any, 38's will be there. Joe Dalton, will you be attending? Michael McCann S/V Jaded C36

J

J. Dalton joenandria@earthlink.net

reply to Michael McCann

No, I'm sorry, I won't be attending the Catalina Rendezvous. Our Cat.38 (Limerick) is berthed at Fortman Marina in Alameda, S. F. Bay, and I must admit I don't know where Port Orchard is!

Status
Not open for further replies.