Catalina 36

Oct 19, 2014
Catalina 36 FL
Hello, I am close to purchasing a late 80's Cat36 that has been very well maintained and has many recent upgrades. I am planning on having it as a live on in South FL for the Winter and sailing it back up the East Coast to Long Island for the Summer. I will be doing a lot of the sailing by myself. I am not a long time experienced sailor. What are your feelings on this vessel and what I am planning to do with it?

Feb 8, 2007
Catalina 36 MKII Pensacola Beach, FL
Okay... so my only hesitation would be

That you say you don't have much experience and you will be sailing it by yourself.

I have a Catalina 36 MKII, and I like it a lot, but it can be a bear to handle by myself. Mine may not be set up the best for singlehanding, but I do have an autopilot and lines run back to the cockpit, etc.

What is really difficult is when the wind picks up. At 10 knots of wind, everything is pretty easy. Things happen fairly slowly... I can gybe or tack by myself with no real crisis. But by myself at 15-20 knots of wind, which can happen often, I am suddenly near the limits of my physical ability. The sails become a lot more powerful, they respond to gybes and tacks more quickly and forcefully, they take longer and a lot more muscle power to winch in, etc.

Your plan will be a lot of fun. All I'm saying is be sure it is safe, too, by learning how to sail a bigger boat carefully. Take a class or have someone else sail with you for a while, and build up to that experience level.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Oct 19, 2014
Catalina 36 FL
That you say you don't have much experience and you will be sailing it by yourself.

I have a Catalina 36 MKII, and I like it a lot, but it can be a bear to handle by myself. Mine may not be set up the best for singlehanding, but I do have an autopilot and lines run back to the cockpit, etc.

What is really difficult is when the wind picks up. At 10 knots of wind, everything is pretty easy. Things happen fairly slowly... I can gybe or tack by myself with no real crisis. But by myself at 15-20 knots of wind, which can happen often, I am suddenly near the limits of my physical ability. The sails become a lot more powerful, they respond to gybes and tacks more quickly and forcefully, they take longer and a lot more muscle power to winch in, etc.

Your plan will be a lot of fun. All I'm saying is be sure it is safe, too, by learning how to sail a bigger boat carefully. Take a class or have someone else sail with you for a while, and build up to that experience level.

Keep us posted on how it goes.
Thank You. My main concern is how it can handle big water if things get a little crazy. Since it is not a heavy or Blue Water boat I am concerned with how it can handle that sort of situation. I don't plan to sail it in those conditions but we all know they do arise. I am a big strong still some what in shape 50 year old guy so I am thinking as long as I don't get stupid I can do it.

Apr 11, 2012
Cataina 400 MK II Santa Cruz
I agree with the above. the Catalina 36 can easily handle wind in the 30 knot range. I know this, I've sailed the 36 a lot. Don't worry about the boat. But, as stated aready, there is a lot of force on a boat this size. Learn how to handle it, and all the ins and outs of your particular boat. Do lots of boat maintenance. Start out easy, keep out of big wind for a while, get lots of advice, take lessons, sail ( a lot ), and enjoy this great boat.

Apr 2, 2007
-Catalina C-36 Hull 1041 & Marshall 18 Catboat - W2CWL Punta Gorda, FL
You mentioned that you were looking at a 1980's C-36 for use in Southern Florida. Regrettably, The waters in almost any protected waters in SW FL are quite shallow and you will defineatly pay a price for any depth over four feet. Places like Sarasota Bay and Pelican Bay at Cayo Costa might be off limits with a deep keel.

What is the depth of the keel in the 1980's model ? (Anyone know)
What year was the shoal keel first offered ?
Bill in SW -FL

Oct 19, 2014
Catalina 36 FL
You mentioned that you were looking at a 1980's C-36 for use in Southern Florida. Regrettably, The waters in almost any protected waters in SW FL are quite shallow and you will defineatly pay a price for any depth over four feet. Places like Sarasota Bay and Pelican Bay at Cayo Costa might be off limits with a deep keel.

What is the depth of the keel in the 1980's model ? (Anyone know)
What year was the shoal keel first offered ?
Bill in SW -FL
The boat has a 5'11" keel depth. They did make a winged keel version of the 34 but from what I have been told it does not point well and is slow on speed.