Catalina 350 Upgrade Electronics

Pauljg

Mar 19, 2022
Catalina 350 Long Beach
Hi
I am a new owner of a 2003 Catalina 350. The boat currently has a Raymarine RC 435 Chartplotter and the original binacle cluster.
The Chartplotter is a mess and the speed indicator is not working. Some web searching finds that there are no longer upgrades available for the Chartplotter from Raymarine.
I am thinking of purchasing a multi-function touch screen unit. I am fairly new to this and hoping to get some insight. I am in So Cal and plan on doing coastal cruising only.
1) Is any of the current wiring and GPS compatible with a new unit?
2) How complex is the install if I chose to do it myself?
Any insight and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Paul

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Are there any other devices networked to the chartplotter that it exchanges data with? It looks like the 435 is NMEA 0183. Any new multifunction devices are likely to be NMEA 2000. There are converters available if you have other 0183 devices that you still need connectivity to. The good news is most new MFD’s have integrated GPS antennas, so you don’t need to worry about connectivity with the old antenna.

Oct 3, 2008
Beneteau 393 Chesapeake Bay
As David said, your current devices are NMEA0183 which is analog while the new standard is NMEA2000 which is digital. A simple system would be a new chartplotter with the internal GPS receiver to be used with your current wind, boat speed, and depth transducers assuming they work. You'll need Raymarine's iTC-5 device which interconnects all of these transducers and your chartplotter via a NMEA2000 cable. Raymarine calls their version STng, and you'll need to stick with their connectors, not the generic ones.

A more complex setup depends upon what else you want or need. If you are coastal cruising, you might want to consider Radar and AIS. These are optional, as are additional dedicated instruments like a wind direction/speed indicator (i60) or a mini-display (i70) that lets you scroll through several sets of data for navigation, AIS, wind, depth, etc. Of course you can also access this data via the chartplotter, but I like to keep the chartplotter relatively uncluttered and the secondary instruments allow a quick glance when I want it. The amount of data and components are up to you and can be installed later depending upon budget, where you sail, type of sailing, and so on.

Hope this helps.

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
Similar problem, old chart plotter. Tossed the plotter for a new Raymarine Axiom 9" plotter and started a NMEA 200 network to feed it data.
NMEA 2000 is a very easy network to work with. The rest of my gauges are analog. When they go I'll replace them with NMEA 2000 items.
You don't have to use Raymarine. At the Annapolis boat show I was able to do one stop shopping at all the vendors and that was the brand I liked.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
1) Is any of the current wiring and GPS compatible with a new unit?
It may be. Depends on the wiring and the old units. A GPS antenna is possible. The pre NMEA2000 sensors will need a translator like the iTC5. The condition of your wiring will tell the tale if new is needed or desired.

The Axiom 9 is a popular size and design. While the touch screen is a popular choice and they have been improved in the past 5 years, many skippers prefer to have a knob to grab when the ocean gets mean and water is splashing on deck. Try the various models and makes out at a boat show or your favorite store. Carry a few adult beverages and ask your dock friends about their system. They likely will be pleased to share their experiences.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
If you want to keep this as simple as possible, you could upgrade the plotter to an e-series Raymarine unit. You could probably find a used one at a good price. They are no longer sold new or supported. The previous owner of our 350 did this (when they sold the e-series new) and it works fine with the existing network. Some people hate the e series units, though we've never had any issues with ours.

Your speed transducer issues could be as simple as a fouled wheel or the transducer could need replacement. I just replaced ours, but it took some emails to Airmar to locate the correct replacement unit, and I had to replace the thru-hull for the new one to be able to be installed (new thru-hull came with the new unit).

• Helpful

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
As you stated what you have there is on upgrade. I had the same problem and looked at what I needed and how easy was it to get local help ( warranty work ). In my location Garmin was the answer but I did have to use the Raymarine AP (wheel drive) but using NEMA 2K all working well. If you want to replace all then pick the bran that you like B&G, Raymarine and Garmin have what ever you want, just remember radar can not be interchanged that is Garmin radar needs a Garmin receiver same with others. but the rest is lets say open game.

TEM58

Apr 4, 2013
Catalina 350 35 Belton, TX
4B5F8491-5853-4616-BB6E-1F16C4D2D7F5.jpeg
4B5F8491-5853-4616-BB6E-1F16C4D2D7F5.jpegI made this change a couple of years ago. It took longer to research and gather the right equipment than it did to install. Of course, that’s the point I suppose. I kept all my legacy equipment except the tri data. The screen was shot and I couldn’t repair it, although I did replace the screen on my st6000 control head. I added other n2k devices, but if you aren’t then everything is right there in the pedestal and the aft cabin. Also, there are circumstances you would need to use the itc5 but in some cases the nmea converter is sufficient. As mentioned, your analog radar won’t work with a new digital mfd. I’ve got a perfectly good analog radar unit along for the ride until I can get around to replacing it. Happy to discuss if you have questions.

Tim

Last edited: