Catalina 350 deck crack and transom crazing

Apr 11, 2013
Catalina 350 Sackets Harbor
We purchased a catalina 350 two years ago and it had a crack in the deck extending into the port aft corner of the anchor locker. Eventually our marina got to it and they say water is in the deck in an area about 1 sq ft. they say they want to bring the boat into the work shop, drill holes, dry it out and then re fiberglass it and so forth. We also have a ton of crazing in the transom which I am told is only cosmetic.

I have a few questions for anyone interested in giving me their two cents:
1) has anyone else seen this or a similar problem where there is a major failure in the deck of a 12 yr old boat and a lot of crazing in the transom?
2)How best does the marina match the gel coat and the antiskid in both color and antiskid texture?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You should ask your marina shop boss for some photo examples of his work, and ask specific questions that will inform what to expect from their work. He should be able to assess how the damage occurred (crash or structural) Composite repair is an Art and a Science. When you find a good shop you can expect good work. But any jackleg can mix up some chemicals and call himself a tradesman. Helps to shop around.

May 28, 2015
Catalina 385 Long Branch, NJ
Not sure you have a "major failure" on the deck. A crack that goes untreated and allows water intrusion could create this situation. A crack in that location could be a matter of a simple stress crack from the forestay or the bow cleats.

A good fiberglass person is worth their weight in gold

Jun 4, 2009
Catalina 309 Swantown Marina Olympia, WA
I think Gunni hit the nail on the head so to speak. I just had the edge of my transom redone after a dive boat struck my boat while in my slip. The tech did such a good job that you can't even see it. Perfect match and the boat is a 2006 C309.