Catalina 34 Mk II Lewmar opening port seal

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 34MKII 1717 Merritt Island, FL
Hello, I am trying to replace the Lewmar opening port seal. Not sure if I am doing it correctly. Has anyone done this? any tips? Thank you....gary

Jun 3, 2004
Thank you for the response. I already have those instructions. The seal seems difficult to install and seems a little large. I have been told that the larger seal is the new size from Lewmar.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Lewmar says there have been no changes, but a lot of customers are complaining!!!! They seem to fit in the track, but are too big to close, a mystery still, hoping somebody has the answer!

Jun 3, 2004
That is the problem that I am having. Talked to SailboatOwners where I purchased the seals. They are the ones that told me that Lewmar had changed the size of the seal

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Oddly in 2012 I replaced the lenses in some size1RE ports strictly for cosmetic reasons, scratched etc. Included was a new hardware set for the hinges and latches which are bolted to the frame. This made them difficult to close even on the original compressed gaskets, and it's still a "two handed" job. I think I recall the hinge pin being a different size making the 2 hardware sets and lens incompatible. The gaskets are original from 2001, pretty sure new ones would make them impossible to close but they sure don't leak. Don't know the answer but that hardware change always seemed curious to me.