Catalina 34 fuel leak

Jan 1, 2017
Catalina 34 punta gorda FL
I have a leak right where my return fuel line enters my tank. 1989 Catalina 34. Of course, that location is VERY hard to get to. I cut the hose and reattached it, but that did not solve the problem. I noticed (from a previous fix?) what looked like rubber cement. Some sort of "caulk" that was a clear, brown, flexible "rubber". Any thoughts?

Attachments

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Does the hose end get clamped over a barbed fitting on the tank? Is the receiving end welded to the tank? These are often on the upper side of a tank, right below the top.

Jan 1, 2017
Catalina 34 punta gorda FL
Does the hose end get clamped over a barbed fitting on the tank? Is the receiving end welded to the tank? These are often on the upper side of a tank, right below the top.
barbed fitting. not sure if elbow is welded. elbow is on top of tank. I have a photo on my phone. standby

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I would look for cracks in the minor diameter portions of that barbed fitting...
If the fitting is viable, the caulking or whatever it is could be thoroughly cleaned off and replaced with MarineTex. Its supposedly ok to use around fuel fittings.

Jul 7, 2013
Catalina 34 856 hamilton
the elbow should be threaded. the weld'y bits below the elbow should be the bung in the top of the tank.

i would back it out, clean it up and relube with something like megaloc. i'm not sure what all the goop is you have on there, but i'm pretty sure you don't need that much. and if it's hard like caulk it's probably due for replacement.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
the elbow should be threaded. the weld'y bits below the elbow should be the bung in the top of the tank.

i would back it out, clean it up and relube with something like megaloc. i'm not sure what all the goop is you have on there, but i'm pretty sure you don't need that much. and if it's hard like caulk it's probably due for replacement.
I agree. Looks like the caulk was there to stop a leak in the 90 degree elbow fitting. You'll be replacing with new anway. Good luck.