Catalina 320

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 2003
Catalina C-320 Washington, NC
There are typically 9 seconds difference in the handicap ratings under PHRF. So, if you race a lot and the the depth of water in your harbor and sailing ground is not an issue go with the deep keel.
If you are a cruiser, it roughly translates into a 15 minute difference on a 100 mile trip, everything else being equal (and some more tacks on an upwind beat).

If you sail in shallow water, go with the wing. Most of what you read about the difficulty in getting a grounded wing keel off the bottom does not apply to the C-320 if the bottom is soft. If you have decent sails, they point very well and are fast. Where I sail there is lots and lots of shallow muddy bottom, we have the wing keel and love it. Saturday, I had to do a bit of aquaculture by plowing a furrow out of and back into our slip...no big deal, except to the bottom paint.

Deep keels are more prevalent on the west coast as they have lots of deep water.

In the Chesapeake, NC estuarine systems, FL and Caribbean, wings seem to dominate due to the close proximity of the bottom.

Dec 2, 2003
Stu,
Where you able to find something on point in the association website?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Heck, no

because I try not to do folk's homework for them, even for my own kids!:):):)

It could well be that there's nothing, but usually association websites have Message Boards where he can ask the questions, in addition to here. The generic keel vs. fin discussion has been going on for over 15 years. Another reason to use search engines, too, here and on other boards, wouldn't ya say?

Since he's new to the C320, or planning on buying one, I didn't know if he was even aware of the association website(s). Unfortunately, so many folks still don't know about these association websites, which is why many of us keep referring to them.

Your earlier reply covered very good points. Thanks, Chris.

Dec 2, 2003
Re: Heck, no

On behalf of the Association, thanks for the referral, Stu ;~). I think he has posted there and gotten a lot more discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.