Catalina 320: Mystery Motor near Shower Sump Pump

Bash

Dec 30, 2020
Catalina C320 West Vancouver
Hello All. I recently purchased a 1994 C320. Trying to get the brand new shower sump pump to work but it shuts off within seconds. It may have to do with the connected old (mystery) motor which heats up but does not work (see photos). I called the manufacturer who was not very helpful, claiming it is not made any more. Catalina Direct could not help either.
Questions: What does the motor serve? Does anyone have a similar motor who can provide some of its specs?
Thanks in advance.
motor.jpg

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
What shower sump pump manufacturer and model did you install? The sump pump should be activated by a float switch in the box like this one Shower Drain Systems | Xylem US, which is similar to what I have. Does the new shower sump pump operate properly with the mystery motor removed?

Last edited:

Bash

Dec 30, 2020
What shower sump manufacturer and model did you install? The ump should be activated by a float switch in the box like this one Shower Drain Systems | Xylem US, which is similar to what I have. Does the new shower sump pump operate properly with the mystery motor removed?
Sump pump is Shurflo Blaster II 3.5 GPM. Model # 4238-121-E07. I do not have the box you referred to, and assume shower drains into bilge. Pump does not operate with mystery motor removed. Do you have a C320 model close to the 1994 year? Thanks.
61U3y3eXkbL__AC_SL1181_.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
That is a pump without a level switch. Was circuit is it on and Is it wired to a dedicated dc panel switch? Do you have room to run the shower drain hose to a small shower sump box, like the one I provided a link to, below the shower drain (even in the bilge) then overboard through an existing or dedicated thru-hull above the waterline as shown in the diagram below? My Hunter 46 has 2 shower sump pump boxes, one for each shower, wired to a dedicated dc panel switch. The showers drain into their deducated sump box anf then pumped overboard though a decicated above the waterline thru-hull. The shower sump pump boxes overflow to the bilge in the event the operator (me) forgets to turn them on.

1633477260149.png

Last edited:

Bash

Dec 30, 2020
That is a pump without a level switch. Was circuit is it on and Is it wired to a dedicated dc panel switch? Do you have room to run the shower drain hose to a small shower sump box, like the one I provided a link to, below the shower drain (even in the bilge) then overboard through an existing or dedicated thru-hull above the waterline as shown in the diagram below? My Hunter 46 has 2 shower sump pump boxes, one for each shower, wired to a dedicated dc panel switch. The showers drain into their deducated sump box anf then pumped overboard though a decicated above the waterline thru-hull. The shower sump pump boxes overflow to the bilge in the event the operator (me) forgets to turn them on.

View attachment 199058
Indeed it had a dedicated circuit. Also a manual switch to activate when needed. Will look into incorporating a box per your suggestion. Thanks for taking the time to respond and advise.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 320 Bristol, RI
For what it’s worth, on my 1994 C320 the shower sump is separate from the bilge and is plumbed to drain overboard through its own, separate, through-hull. That outlet is located behind the through-hulls for the sink drain and for the toilet inflow, all three accessible from the aft cabin, underneath the hanging locker.
The separate diaphragm pump, located under the wash basin, is powered from the water-pressure circuit and activated by its own switch mounted under the sink.

May 9, 2023
Catalina 320 Portland Harbor
For what it’s worth, on my 1994 C320 the shower sump is separate from the bilge and is plumbed to drain overboard through its own, separate, through-hull. That outlet is located behind the through-hulls for the sink drain and for the toilet inflow, all three accessible from the aft cabin, underneath the hanging locker.
The separate diaphragm pump, located under the wash basin, is powered from the water-pressure circuit and activated by its own switch mounted under the sink.
Accessible. You keep us'ing that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Accessible. You keep us'ing that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.
1. he used the word once;
2. I think he knows exactly what it means, and I knew what he meant when he said it:
"1. (of a place) able to be reached or entered."

What do you think it means, or what word would you use?

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
The whole assembly under the vanity sink is rather confusing. My model is 1999 so there are probably some differences. You are going to have to stick your head inside the cabinet and try to grope around in an attempt to figure this out. I'll agree with @DonScribner ... the term "accessible" is nebulous in this case! :cool: But the first thing to do is just put yourself in the mindset that you don't have to replicate the builder's pump models or even the design of the system if you don't like it. They are way out of date and all you need to do is find a suitable modern replacement.

That Shurflo Blaster looks familiar and I think it is the same as my shower sump. I have no idea what that cylinder you are holding in your hand is. If it is in any way wired in connection with the Shurflo, why not just remove it and make sure the Shurflo is wired properly to a switch? That way, you should be able to determine if the Shurflo is broken or not. Mine is on a circuit with the freshwater pump, but it is operated with a manual switch in the head. I don't have a float switch and I see no purpose for one anyway. It's too messy to take showers in there, so we never do, but even if we did, I would simply drain the sump with the manual switch.

Don't assume that the shower drainage is pumped to the bilge. Mine is pumped overboard thru the toilet raw water intake. It has to go over a ventilated loop first. The intake thru hull served 3 purposes ... 1) toilet intake (which we have eliminated by using fresh water instead now), 2) shower sump discharge, and 3) raw water intake for anchor locker wash down. Yep, it was a tangled mess to figure out.

That motor might have something to do with a washdown pump, I suppose. Oh, I just read your comment that with it removed, your Shurflo doesn't work at all. So get rid of it and wire the Shurflo so it does work. You don't need that POS if it serves no purpose. While you are messing about with the pumps, you may as well replace all the hoses. That way, you clean the entire system and learn everything about the system you need to know.

Last edited:

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
"What do you think it means, or what word would you use? "

Paraphrasing from one of the best movies of all time, The Princess Bride:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
The intake thru hull served 3 purposes ... 1) toilet intake (which we have eliminated by using fresh water instead now), 2) shower sump discharge, and 3) raw water intake for anchor locker wash down.
Wow, I don't like that - the shower sump gunk - hair, soap film, etc. - potentially going into the washdown pump and toilet pump. Oy!

My shower drains into a tub that's suspended in the bilge, and the drain for that goes immediately to a screen filter and then its own pump to overboard. Only problem now is that the tub is cracked! It's always something....

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Wow, I don't like that - the shower sump gunk - hair, soap film, etc. - potentially going into the washdown pump and toilet pump. Oy!

My shower drains into a tub that's suspended in the bilge, and the drain for that goes immediately to a screen filter and then its own pump to overboard. Only problem now is that the tub is cracked! It's always something....
No, I think you misunderstand ... the small tub under the drain is pumped out thru a filter and overboard (underwater) thru the thru-hull that also used to provide water to the toilet. I don't recall the exact configuration of the fittings but it is arranged so the discharge is underwater and does not go thru the toilet or the washdown pump. It does have to go through an elevated v-loop before discharge.

I also removed the raw water supply to the toilet anyway and have it plumbed for fresh water. The raw water is far uglier than the shower water will ever be anyway, but it's moot now. The washdown pump is about the only regular service for that thru hull anyway, since we never take showers in the head (we use the transom shower, when not in marina). I don't know what kind of gunk ends up in the shower anyway ... I mean it's not like there is any hair or gunk coming off our bodies and a little shampoo certainly doesn't clog up anything. It's not like sasquatch is using the boat ...