Catalina 320 Heat Pump AC not working

Aug 7, 2023
catalina catalina 320 norwalk
I'm told line needs to be bled. Unit come on, water cycles through unit, air comes out of ducts, but no hot or cold. I can find AC unit but have no idea how to find water intake line or how to bleed it. Things are so cramped how do you ever get close enough to service it ?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Does "water cycles through unit" mean water is discharging through the discharge port? If so, you dont need to bleed anything as the pump is working properly.

If no water discharge, its simple to bleed. Pumps on A/C units dont pump a vacuum and need water. Just open the intake filter or remove the hose and fill intake hose before reconnecting.

Boaters should crawl around every nook to become familiar with how everything works and where everything can go wrong. Think of it as an essential learning experience which might someday save your life.

Aug 7, 2023
yes water is being discharged at a fairly large volume it seems to me. I like your suggestion about crawling around but on my boat a Catalina 320 only a child could crawl around in there. 2 , 5" inch ducts point towards you as open the compartment hatch above the AC unit. They obscure almost your entire view . Also what do you suggest I do given that water is apparently circulating properly through the unit?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
yes water is being discharged at a fairly large volume it seems to me. I like your suggestion about crawling around but on my boat a Catalina 320 only a child could crawl around in there. 2 , 5" inch ducts point towards you as open the compartment hatch above the AC unit. They obscure almost your entire view . Also what do you suggest I do given that water is apparently circulating properly through the unit?
How do you clean the air filter behind the condenser coil?
i can’t diagnose the problem via the internet. Depending on age, it could be something as simple as low refrigerant, bad cap, switch, ……

Given your description, it sounds like whoever tries to figure it out will have to gain access to it.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Might be a high-pressure cut-off switch needing resetting.
Got a manual for your specific unit?

Aug 7, 2023
Might be a high-pressure cut-off switch needing resetting.
Got a manual for your specific unit?
no I don't have a manual. I should look around for one on the Internet perhaps but even so does not appear there is any way to gain access to the unit without utilizing child labor or someone tiny enough to get down in the compartment and see what's going on. Do you know if these things are even made to be serviced?