Catalina 32 vs the 34

Jwhy

Feb 11, 2013
Catalina 320 Kilmarnock
I'm thinking of moving up from my Catalina 30. What are the pros and cons of the larger designs ?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Just those two?

Both have aft heads. The rigs are different. The layout down below appears to be the same, but look very closely and you'll see major differences. There's perhaps more headroom in the 320. Looks are different, between the 320 and 34 Mark I's. Don't know if the 320 has a Yanmar or Universal. Almost all 34s have Universals with glow plugs. Otherwise, support systems (i.e., plumbing, electrical, etc.) are quite similar if not identical.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Don't forget the 310, I know its only 1 foot BUT the layout is great, easy to single hand,lots of headroom and storage. Depending on what your needs are.
Boat is also offshore rated!
Not that I am biased.....

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
They started putting Yanmar 3GM30F's in '96 and then the 3YM30, before that a Westerbeke and the Perkins M30 for the first couple years. This build history may be helpful http://www.catalinazeilers.com/wp-c...alina-320-Hull-History-and-Design-Changes.pdf
I can't think of any "cons" regarding the larger boats, A friend with a 30 has remarked several times "I can't believe this boat is only 2 feet longer". I like both the 320 and 34 for sailing, my wife has a leg injury that makes the larger companionway steps of the 320 work better for us.

Jwhy

Feb 11, 2013
Catalina 320 Kilmarnock
I love the 310 but the model is new so there are few used ones available and none in my price range. The 320 is almost the same boat and is my current favorite. But there are plenty of 34's out there too.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The 320 is almost the same boat and is my current favorite. But there are plenty of 34's out there too.
It's NOT "almost the same boat." By far.

I had lunch the other day with a friend who used to have a 320 and now has a 34. He says they are completely different boats. The freeboard is much higher on the 320. The rig is different. He said the 320 rounds up more than his 34 because of the beamier sections aft on the 320, and as well the 320 rudder tends to loose its bite when heeled going upwind. This is what he said, and he's had BOTH boats; I've never sailed a 320 although I've had my 34 for 18 years now and have sailed it up the coast from California to Vancouver Island. We both felt that the layout down below ended up getting it backwards (compared to the spacious C34), because when you sit on the settee you end up looking at the wall of the head, and not the relatively open space of the galley. Same footprint (almost) but vastly different visual perceptions. Think about it now that you know, and compare the layouts when you go on board each boat. I think Beneteau got their 35 foot boats all wrong because of this same layout issue from the three Beneteaus of that size range I've chartered.

You HAVE TO determine how you intend to use the boat you choose. Given what I knew before I spoke with my friend and what I knew before that, it's simply a reality of different horses for courses.

That said, the C320 is another solid boat from Catalina.

But you're looking for a larger boat from Catalina than the one you have. There's more than the 320 or 34 to choose from. But you knew that, right? :)

Oct 3, 2011
Glad you are looking at a Catalina though, Catalina owners are VERY brand loyal, its a quality boat, good value for your dollar.

Mar 13, 2016
Catalina 320 Tacoma
My wife and I bought a 1993 320 a little over 6 months ago (hull #8) and after a good summer of sailing, I'm pretty happy with it. I would have to disagree with Mr Jackson's friend about the weather helm on the 320. I sailed/raced quite a bit aboard a friend's C30 tall rig and that boat had considerable weather helm in winds over 10 - 12 knots so I was apprehensive about the 320 until I read a really good review in Practical Sailor that said the 320's hull was designed with helm balance as a high priority. After sailing our boat in winds from 5 to 20 knots, I'm very impressed with the balance of the helm. Trim the sails properly and you can let go of the wheel and she will hold her course very nicely.

One of 320 design features that we liked when looking at boats is the walk-through transom. We take a small dog cruising with us and wife and dog can hop right into the dingy from the small swim step. That has got to be their favorite feature about the boat after using it for a while. (I like the good sailing...)

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
Weather helm is all about sail trim. I have no significant issue with my C30TR

Oct 3, 2011
We have balanced out our 310 like that, sail trim, "Look Ma , No Hands" :)

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Ayup. If my C-30 has a lot of weather helm, it means I need to trim the sails or put a reef in the main.

Mar 13, 2016
Catalina 320 Tacoma
I agree that tweaking sail trim is the final step to balancing your helm, but the design aspect of a balanced helm means the center of effort of the sails needs to line up over, or just a little behind, the center of lateral resistance of the hull. You can move the center of effort of the sails by reefing the main or shortening / changing the headsail, but the center of lateral resistance is determined by the hull shape and very difficult to change, unless you are racing and have an abundance of rail meat aboard that you can move around until your helm feels right...

Bottom line is that hull design has a lot to do with how your helm feels under sail but most modern fin keel sloops have it pretty much dialed in.