Catalina 315 Mainsail Furling Problems; Spinlock Clutch

Jan 23, 2021
Catalina 315 81 Newport Beach
Here is a tale that may assist other Catalina 315 sailors who are having mainsail furling problems.

Our year-old mainsail always was difficult to furl... it would not enter the mast smoothly. It would bind at the clew, requiring someone to go up to the mast to try to force the first inch into the mast channel. Our rigger even made us a special tool to shove the clew into the mast.

However, it turns out that our 315 was shipped with a main halyard clutch that was too large. This allowed the sail to droop slightly... it was imperceptible but enough to prevent the sail from furling. And we know of at least one other 315 shipped with a clutch that is too large.

Spinlock offers the clutch in two sizes: model XAS0406 fits 5/32" to 5/16" (4-8mm) line while model XAS0612 fits 1/4" to 1/2" (6-12mm) line. The 315 needs the 5/16" clutch, but the factory seems to ship the mast with the 1/2" clutch. The only way to tell which one you have is to open the clutch and look at the size stamped inside under the halyard.

1689295035762.png

Since our clutch has been replaced, we have had no problems furling the mainsail... no more drooping!

Good luck and happy sailing to all.

Jan 23, 2021
I should point out that the clutch was replaced under warranty by our Catalina dealer.

VFR750

Oct 18, 2021
Catalina 22 Sport Noank
I assume this is one of the 3 clutches on the cabin top. Were all of the clutches the larger one, and you replaced only the main halyard one?

Jan 23, 2021
I assume this is one of the 3 clutches on the cabin top. Were all of the clutches the larger one, and you replaced only the main halyard one?
Actually, on the 315, the main halyard clutch is mounted solo on the starboard side of the mast. That is the one that was replaced...