Catalina 315 Instruments

Aug 1, 2021
Catalina 315 OTM, Stockton, MO
Hi, I have a new 315 on order and was wondering about instrument placement. I am only having the i70 Multifunction display and the Auto Pilot instruments installed. By default they will be mounted on the ends of the gunnel, one on each side. For those Catalina 315 owners that have instruments mounted there I have a couple questions. 1. Are they difficult to see or access from a standing or sitting position (especially if sitting on the opposite side)? 2. Since they are digital are they difficult to see with polarized sunglasses? 3. Is the wind direction/speed function on the Multifunction difficult to see? I'm thinking of a dedicated i60 Analog Wind Display mounted with the other two formentioned instruments mounted in a NavPod on the pedestal guard as alternative.

Thanks for your feedback.
Bob

Jan 23, 2021
Catalina 315 81 Newport Beach
I also have a 315 on order and have similar questions. I think that I mistakenly have ordered three of the multi function displays. I look forward to seeing the answers from those who have gone before us!

Aug 21, 2019
Catalina 315 18 Grosse Pointe Park, MI
I have a C315. The MFD, the wind instrument and a depth sounder are mounted on the nav pod on the pedestal. On the end of the port gunnel is the speed display and the auto-pilot control is mounted at the end of the starboard gunnel. I find that this arrangement works great for me. I can see all the instruments very well from either side and even from the perch seats. I also wear polarized sunglasses and have no problems at all.

Best of luck with your 315(s), I really love mine!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Just curious why you want a i70 and also dedicated instruments, eliminating room for the AP on the nav pod.
With 2 i70s and the P70 AP display, all mounted front and center in a nav pod, you can easily configure the i70s to display speed, depth, wind and configure the P70 to also display speed and depth as well as the AP functions.
If you have a NMEA 2000 capable chart plotter you can also most likely put speed and depth as an overlay on that.

Aug 21, 2019
Catalina 315 18 Grosse Pointe Park, MI
I personally prefer dedicated instruments. Whenever the weather turns ugly or some other unexpected event happens, confusion is often the result. I recently had this happen on a return trip in heavy weather. I thought I was seeing SOG (speed over ground from the GPS) when I was actually seeing the output of that little paddle wheel that allegedly reads boat speed. Thinking my boat was going two knots slower than it actually was, with the wind at my back, with a favorable current, caused me to believe that I was having some sort of engine problem.

Also, while configuring an instrument in calm water might be easy, try the same thing when the boat is pitching in 3 foot waves. If nothing else, having to fiddle with instrument controls is distracting. Anything that takes the helmsman's attention away from piloting the boat is a bad thing.

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Anything that takes the helmsman's attention away from piloting the boat is a bad thing.
I agree, display configuration is to be done in the slip, not underway.
The same reason why I like my i70s and the ability to configure screens to display the info I want front and center. Then one button press to change the data displayed. I usually have one i70 showing depth and SOG, (I also don't trust the paddle wheel for speed). The other shows wind info. When depth and or speed is critical one button press on each display and they mimic dedicated depth and speed instruments.
For the same reason quoted, I like the AP front and center. I think with the 2 i70s I get the best of both MFD and dedicated instruments, all front and center.

2. Since they are digital are they difficult to see with polarized sunglasses?
The i70 displays are very easy to see in bright sunlight. I have polarized sunglasses and can easily read them nav pod displays from the perch seats.

Is the wind direction/speed function on the Multifunction difficult to see?
Not at all. You can keep the screen simple, add data or mimic a dedicated wind display. Your choice.
You have many screen layouts and data sources to choose from which allows you to choose what is important and how prominent it is displayed. You can choose a layout that mimics the dedicated wind display or you can choose a layout that displays up to 6 fields of wind data.
My i70 screen for wind has a dial showing AWA, AWS and direction. It has 3 data boxes to the side that show TWS, TWD, SOG.
If I have guests/new sailors at the helm and want to simplify the screen for them, I switch (one button press) to a screen with the dial showing AWA, AWS and direction.

I had dedicated instruments and found the i70s much easier to read.

VFR750

Oct 18, 2021
Catalina 22 Sport Noank
We just ordered a 315 also. Likely spring 2023.

We saw another 315 in Mystic, and the owner had this set up, which we like. We are going with Garmin instead of Raymarine. Wind speed + direction, and boat speed on left, Charts, AIS, and Radar in the middle, Auto Pilot on the right. Everything in one place, while you are at the helm.
Instruments.jpg