Catalina 310 to the Bahamas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2007
Catalina 310 Manalapan, NJ
Catalina 310 to the Bahamas

At the end of 2012, I embarked on my dream - to sail Still Crazy, my 2005 310 down the intracostal from New Jersey to the Bahamas. I was uncertain if the relatively small 310 was up to the task. Bottom line, no problem. I thought I would let you know about a few of the additions that I felt made for a successful trip.

I purchased two Solarland 85W solar panels from eMarine Systems, complete with controller, wiring, fuses, and a very useful remote display. The total cost was $890.85. I mounted them over the bimini, making sure they did not hit the boom; they fit perfectly. I purchased mounting hardware from Marine Depot, Sailrite, etc., and I used Sea Dog Oval Plate Bracket Kits (327101-1) to attach the panels to the 1” stainless tubing. Unless there was more than two days without sun, I was completely energy independent.

I replaced the original Maxwell VC 500 windlass with the VW 500 that includes a chain gypsy, and purchased 125 foot of ¼" chain from Defender. Unfortunately, this gypsy will not accommodate 3/8” chain. I also added 100’ of rope rode; way overkill. I bought a 15 kg Rocna for my primary anchor and never dragged once even in a 37 kts squall.

Instead of davits, I chose to install a Dinghy Tow. This device secures the transom of the dinghy to the transom of the boat. The dinghy is then towed backwards with just a bit of its bow in the water. The advantage is very little weigh aft and very little drag through the water. Also, the engine can permanently and securely reside on the dinghy’s transom. I actually crossed the Gulf Stream towing the dinghy this way but I did temporarily remove the engine. Installing and deploying the Dinghy Tow was initially very daunting and there were several times that I was tempted to chuck it. But once I got the hang of it, I was very pleased with its performance.

In the interest of weight, I purchased a combo package of a Zodiac Zoom 260 Aero dinghy (80 lb.) with a Honda 2 hp 4-Stroke air cooled engine (28 lb.) for a total of $1664.50 from Defender. The air cooled engine is a little loud but it gets me where I need to go.

Except for the lights in the head, I replaced all bulbs with LED’s including the anchor light. For the anchor light I used Dr. LED GE 90 STAR (H2492 Star) in the original Hella fixture. Although Hella vigorously recommends against this replacement, I have had no problems and it was one on the brightest lights in the anchorages.

I installed a Hella Marine Turbo 2-Speed Fan in the V-birth about midway between the two lights. I found it very important on those windless days in the Bahamas.

One cheap, low tech, but very valuable addition was a “screen” for the companionway. I purchased a net used for baby carriages, stretched it over the winches and held it down by folding it under the lower washboard. Perfect!

At the Admiral’s insistence, I purchased a Delorme InReach satellite communication device. It can send and receive text and email messages, send canned messages, send a cookie trail of your boat’s coordinates plotted on map, and has SOS capabilities that will alert search and rescue authorities. While it is by no means a proper EPIRB, it worked well for our purposes.

My Raymarine SL70RC PLUS chart plotter uses the C-Map NT+ chart chips and I purchased M-NA-C303, M-NA-C304, M-NA-C309, and M-NA-C306 for the intracostal and the Bahamas. I used the Maptech charts for the intracostal; the Explorer charts are a must for the Bahamas. In addition, I found Active Captain very useful throughout. Active Captain uses the Navimatics App for the US and the Garmin BlueChart Mobile App in the Bahamas.

Happy Sailing
Jeff

Attachments

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Glad to hear from you

Are you back in NJ or still traveling around?

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Thanks a lot for this list of modifications. My wife and I are planning to leave in June of 2015 for a similar trip. So this was very helpful especially the part about the dinghy-tow as I am currently trying to figure this one out.

The rest of the list sounds exactly like what I have either done or I am planning to do.

How a out the water capacity? A water maker is on the possible list.

And more importantly, were are the photos of the trip?

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
I think the story of the trip, the details on the upgrades, and how well the C-310 did at meeting the challenge would all make for a great number of submissions for coming Mainsheet - heck, you could be the star for the next year. Be great to hear more about the trip.

Russ

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Jeff,

I just did a little research on the dinghy tow and I am really interested. Do you have any photos of it in use?

Thanks,

Jesse

Oct 17, 2011
Catalina 310 USA
sounds like a great trip. As you can probably tell, many of us would love to hear more....

Mar 30, 2007
Are you back in NJ or still traveling around?
Hi Ray,
I have a deal made in heaven. I am job sharing. I work for periods of 4-8 weeks and then fly back to sail in the Bahamas for 4-8 weeks at a time. In 2 weeks I leave again. The round trip (to the Abacos) is about $530 via United Airlines. Hurricane season is a problem. You must either return to the US, haul your boat in the Bahamas and leave, or have a readily accessible hurricane hole (either on an mooring in a protected harbor or in a mangrove hole).

Mar 30, 2007
Jeff,

I just did a little research on the dinghy tow and I am really interested. Do you have any photos of it in use?

I only have 1 pic (see below) but you can get a very good video on the web site http://www.dinghy-tow.com/. I was very happy with dinghy tow but there are details about mounting and the actual towing that are crucial. Until I got the quirks sorted out I was ready to throw it in the drink. I would be happy to walk you through it if you decide to purchase one (doctorsail@optonline.net). When making my decision I ruled out davits because of the weight and clutter. Then it was a choice between the Dinghy-Tow and just towing. Towing would require rolling up the dinghy or storing it on the bow when crossing over the Gulf Stream and removing the engine when the winds picked up. This is not to say that many boats in the Abacos don't tow their dinghies, they do. As to questions of stability, my dinghy was very happy on the Dinghy-Tow in 17-20 kts. with 3-4 ft. waves. The Admiral was not so happy. If you have any specific questions I would be happy to answer them
Jeff

Attachments

Mar 30, 2007
Thanks a lot for this list of modifications. My wife and I are planning to leave in June of 2015 for a similar trip. So this was very helpful especially the part about the dinghy-tow as I am currently trying to figure this one out.

The rest of the list sounds exactly like what I have either done or I am planning to do.

How a out the water capacity? A water maker is on the possible list.

And more importantly, were are the photos of the trip?
Hi,
As far as the Dinghy-Tow is concerned, you can see my response to Jesse. Again, feel free to contact me with any specific questions.
You would not want to install a water maker unless you were going to the more remote islands, in which case the 310 is not the boat for the trip (you would not have enough storage for food, etc. and the energy requirements to run the water maker are high). During my trip I stopped at West End (Grand Bahama) and then sailed in the Abacos. In the Abacos you do have to pay for water (e.g. $5.00 per day at a marina for all you want or 25-35 cents per gallon) but obtaining water is no problem and I was fine with the 35 gallons in the tank.

Attachments

Mar 30, 2007
I think the story of the trip, the details on the upgrades, and how well the C-310 did at meeting the challenge would all make for a great number of submissions for coming Mainsheet - heck, you could be the star for the next year. Be great to hear more about the trip.

Russ
Hi Russ,

I don't want to be a star but writing an article for the Mainsheet might be a good idea. I'll be going back and forth over the next 12 months but I should be able to get something written after my next trip; I leave in another 2 weeks. As far as where to sail in the Bahamas, the Abacos and the Exumas are the favorite places for cruisers. Most cruisers will not spend any significant time in New Providence (Nassau) or Grand Bahama (Freeport/Lucaya). There is a large contingent of cruisers who cruise the Bahamas for years. They go to more areas but the 310 is not large enough for cruising that long a time.

Attachments

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Jeff, Love your story and would like to hear more as that is something we would be interested in doing, especially the intercoastal ! Which led lights and purchase source did you use?, I would like to replace a light or two on the interior with red/white combination.
Thanks for your information

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
LED Lights

- Thought I would add a note here. (No connection other then working with them to get the size lamp developed for our Catalina's) You might want to contact Brad at Cruising Solutions [info@cruisingsolutions.com] for your red/white combo. I know these work and fit as I helped prototype the first units. You take out the finger burners and insert this in it's place. When you turn on the light it comes on red. (night vision saving device) if you want white just turn off and back on within 5 seconds, it is white. Turn off for at least 15 seconds it goes back to red when you turn it on. I have all but the two most forward reading lamps in the front cabin and the two tucked away in the main cabin converted to these lamps. Nice to see the drop to 10th of an amp vs.....

They also have some other replacement lamps including an anchor lamp with it's own photo cell for on off.

Brad writes: For bow and stern, you probably have AquaSignal series 41 fixtures so the r/g combo would take a BAY15D-18P-WW or for maximum brilliance, a BAY-15D-50P Tri-color. The white portion will just point into the fixture but it is considerably brighter than the warm white.

For the stern, use a BAY15D-18P-CW

For the steaming light is probably an AquaSignal Series 25 which uses a "tube-style" festoon bulb. Use a FS44D-30P-CW

For your anchor light; it could either be an AquaSignal series 25 or 40. If its a 25 series, use a FS44D-30P-CW or if its a series 40, use a BAY15D-15P-CW D2D. This has a photo cell which automatically turns it on at dusk and off at dawn - very handy if you don't make it back to the boat by sunset.

Attachments

Mar 30, 2007
Jeff, Love your story and would like to hear more as that is something we would be interested in doing, especially the intercoastal ! Which led lights and purchase source did you use?, I would like to replace a light or two on the interior with red/white combination.
Thanks for your information
Hi Alansails
I researched LED's and clearly there are a number that will get the job done. I purchased the X-Beam ILBPG4-10C from Atlantic Marine Electrical Services Inc. at the
Annapolis Boat Show. The price was right and they worked fine. They have 2 types: the Warm and the Cool. I used the brighter Cool for the light over the galley sink but they
are too harsh for reading. I replaced all the others with the Warm.

I have no experience with red/white lights. When traveling down the ICW, I did not sail at night. If you do sail south at night you will likely be on the outside. In this case I could
see how one or two red lights in the salon would be useful. I did not replace the incandescent lights in the head since the total amount of time that these lights were on was very small (amp hours) and replacing these bulbs was not cost efficient. In the Bahamas you will not be sailing at night.

For the anchor light, I suggest that you replace the original Osram 5008 (in the Hella 2492 fixture) with the Dr. Led H2492 (Dr. LED Product Code: 8000067). It was the only LED replacement bulb that I found and it was very bright and worked fine. I heard about someone who had problems with short circuits but I think it was his fixture and not the bulb itself.

As far as paper charts, I used the Maptech Regional Chartkits for Region 4, 6, and 7. I also bought the relatively inexpensive Maptech Florida's East Coast to Grand Bahama,
Waterproof Chart $18.99 from RnR Marine. It was a useful small scale chart for the Florida coast. For a cruising guide I purchased the Embassy Cruising Guide:
Chesapeake Bay to Florida, 4th Edition.

I would highly recommend the inexpensive Skipper Bob publications, "Anchorages Along the Intracoastal Waterway" and "Marinas Along the Intracoastal Waterway." Alas,
Skipper Bob has passed away but his books are continuously being updated.

Most sailors traveling down the ICW use Active Captain. Active Captain is a free database of anchorages, marinas, obstructions, etc. You can use a smart phone or tablet
to interface with Active Captain using the app "Navimatics" (not Navionics) for the ICW and "Garmin Blue Charts" for the Bahamas. These apps are stand-alone chart
plotters that are also useful as a back-up.

Unless you have very good luck with the winds (don't count on it) you will be mostly motoring south of the Chesapeake. For that reason, we spent several weeks on the
Chesapeake. If you've not been to the Inner Harbor at Baltimore, plan to spend a day or two there and visit the amazing Aquarium, the WWII ships, etc. Pick up a mooring at
Annapolis and tour the Naval Base and take one of the bus tours of Annapolis. After leaving Virginia, I recommend taking the Dismal Swamp route (as opposed to the
Virginia Cut) and plan to overnight at free docks at the Visitors Center (just over the boarder into North Carolina). We spent several days at Norfolk, VA., one day at the free
docks at Elizabeth City, and several days in Charleston and Savannah. There was a very nice marina at Hilton Head.
I left my boat at Brunswick Landing Marina for 3 months while I went back to replenish the kitty. It is a natural hurricane hole and you will meet a lot of sailors destined for the
Bahamas.

Attachments

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Thanks for the information, I also spoke with Brad @ cruising solutions and was able to order Two red/white combination lights for the cabin. we are leaving in about four weeks for 12 days sailing on Lake Erie going up through the islands and than along the canadian shore than back south again. I am trying to get the boat set up now. I just bought new updated charts from Oceangraphix, I will get some other work done (re-setting the depth sounder alarm) etc. than off to buy anchor rode. previous owner had double braid dock line! need chain also! West Marine here we come!
We have previously sailed out of St Simons island, GA-Golden isles-with some friends and have been on the ICW more than once-going both north and south, look forward to going back.. but not this year.
Keep writing your adventures Alan & Eileen

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Jeff,

I was just looking at your newest photos. What anchor do you have on her. I have a Manson Supreme 35 lbs and it looks similar.

Thanks,

Jesse

Attachments

Mar 30, 2007
Jeff,

I was just looking at your newest photos. What anchor do you have on her. I have a Manson Supreme 35 lbs and it looks similar.

Thanks,

Jesse
Hi Jesse
I have a Rocna 15 (33 lb) which is very similar to the Manson Supreme. By looking at them, it would be hard to tell the difference. I was very happy with my Rocna. I never dragged even in winds up to 37 kts.

Status
Not open for further replies.