Catalina 310 dinghy davits

Apr 14, 2014
catalina 310 Rock Hall, MD
Does any Catalina 310 owner out there have dinghy davits on their boat? If so, please provide make and pictures.

Thanks

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Does any Catalina 310 owner out there have dinghy davits on their boat? If so, please provide make and pictures.

Thanks
You can get a quick look at my davits in my avatar. They are Martek, and have served us well since 2010. I will post more pictures soon.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
You can get a quick look at my davits in my avatar. They are Martek, and have served us well since 2010. I will post more pictures soon.
One picture shows the davits just after installation. The others show the solar panels installed and the dinghy hanging. The dinghy is a Walker Bay 8, a great little boat.Kids grandkids Sasha 2010 001.jpgIMG_2404.jpgTom and Sasha.jpg

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Here are a couple of options. Solstice has traditional davits. I think these are Kato. Next to it is Smitty with the dinghy sling which works great for trips but isn't as easy for lifting daily to prevent growth.
IMG_5016.jpg

We have since put a semi custom arch on Smitty. This is an Atlantic Towers Arch-In-A-Box. We are extremely happy with the arch and use it sailing in all conditions, running down wind in 40+ knots, sailing off the wind in 35 knots with 8-12 foot breakers on the quarter, motor sailing in flat conditions, etc.
FB_IMG_1572914681980.jpg

FB_IMG_1569330225931.jpg

IMG_20191102_080526406.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck and fair winds,

Jesse

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
I've heard a lot of good things about these guys:

There's also Garhauer to consider:

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Garhauer sold these to me, I customized them for lateral stability.
The problem with loading the stern of the C310 is she will wallow severely in a following sea on you quarter. She wants to spin like a top with the standard keel. The fin keel probably does better.

Attachments

Apr 5, 2017
Catalina 310 Huntington, NY
I also have the Garhauer davits. Looking at the two installations, the only difference that I think there might be is that the davits on my boats do not run out parallel to the boat. The davits on my installation are canted in slightly. Probably has more to do with the drop down of the lifting hooks and falls than anything else, although it probably does help a little with the stability of the davits.

Attachments

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Mine are also canted in for stability.
The attachment points on the dink require this and when full raised the lift lines also cant in, this helps with swinging.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
I know this is an old thread, but was wondering if anyone has ever come across davits that fold in when not in use. I don’t like them sticking out when they’re not active (and our harbor charges based on boat length, including any extensions) but I guess I can also see how that might be a structural issue. Most of the designs I see mentioned here are fixed in place.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I know this is an old thread, but was wondering if anyone has ever come across davits that fold in when not in use. I don’t like them sticking out when they’re not active (and our harbor charges based on boat length, including any extensions) but I guess I can also see how that might be a structural issue. Most of the designs I see mentioned here are fixed in place.
Interesting concept. You would need some way of stabilizing the ends of the davits when they are swung all the way out. The lifting blocks at the end of the davits will typically be closer together than the lifting points on the dinghy, to help minimize sway, and this will tend to pull the davits together.

Nov 16, 2012
Interesting concept. You would need some way of stabilizing the ends of the davits when they are swung all the way out. The lifting blocks at the end of the davits will typically be closer together than the lifting points on the dinghy, to help minimize sway, and this will tend to pull the davits together.
A little Google searching produced quite a few options, including this one. Also says it’s easy to remove, which could be a feature or a drawback. I’ll keep looking but would love to hear from someone who used one.

Nov 16, 2012
The davits on my boat are capable of swinging out of the way and did so every winter except this last one when I added the solar above them. Hope this helps. JG
Do you remember what brand/model they are? Happy with them?

Afraal

May 29, 2023
Catalina 310 Flowery Branch
Hello @marchem, I was wondering if you ended up installing Davits on your C310, and if yes what brand?