Catalina 309 Macerator Pump

Jun 20, 2010
Catalina 309 San Carlos, Sonora, MEX
A general request... My Catalina 309 (Hull # 155, 2008) is in Mexico and I am home in the states and wonder if anyone has ordered/replaced the impeller for the macerator pump. I do know that it is a Jabsco, but not sure of the model. I want to order a kit in order to be carrying a backup impeller.

If anyone has done this and knows the model number of the macerator pump, would appreciate it.

Jim

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
In my limited experience, I've had about 5 with failed motors, mostly frozen from old age. One less than a year old had one of the cheap studs holding the pump to motor shear and leak. Some people replace the studs on new pumps with SS prior to install. I've never had an impellor fail.

Jun 4, 2009
Catalina 309 Swantown Marina Olympia, WA
Jim For your info take care with the plastic T-fitting that comes from the pumpout hose to the macerator. Catalina tightened mine too much and cracked the fitting on the back side so when I used the pumpout the first time I ended up putting some of the s*** into the bilge. I was not a happy sailor. I got a replacement at a farm supply store that was far stronger and cheaper that has lasted the last 9 yrs.

Nov 8, 2011
catalina 309 New Bern, NC
A dumb question i know, but i cannot find the mercerator pump in my recent purchased 2006 Catalina 309 where is it?? (when turned on at the panel, I hear nothing, but I think i did originally)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
A dumb question i know, but i cannot find the mercerator pump in my recent purchased 2006 Catalina 309 where is it?? (when turned on at the panel, I hear nothing, but I think i did originally)
Not a dumb question, but you do need to look for it in the right place.
Do you know where you Black Water holding tank is?

You should have a hose emptying the tank. Follow that to a Y connection with a valve. One path goes to the deck connection which allows you to suck out the contents of the holding tank. The other side goes to the through hull to dump your holding tank in the open ocean. Along this second path will be your macerator pump.

If you stay inside the 3 mile coastal limit the CG requires your through hull valve to be locked so the holding tank deck pump out position is the only way to evacuate the waste effluent. Some previous owners may even have doubled down and disconnected the pump from the electrical panel which means you would have no pump sound when you flip the switch.