Catalina 30 tall rig windlass installation

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
I installed a windlass on my previous Oday and was spoiled for 20 years now I've moved on to a Catalina 30 tall rig and cannot find any information on a windlass installation for this popular model, I've seen pictures of a winch installed in the locker on the side of that square box that Catalina intended for a winch but thats for a rope rode and when the chain shows up then what
Thinking of a horizontal unit in front of the hatch, maybe cut the hatch and mount to that with support under and have half a hatch (thats how I did the Oday)
Any information would be grateful, I'd hate to do something and then see the better way

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
If you're interested in ideas for installing a windlass, you'll need to post a good half dozen shots of your chain locker. Lots of experts in windlass installation here but probably not many familiar with the locker on your particular boat.

Catalina intended for a winch but thats for a rope rode and when the chain shows up then what
I never could figure out how those units with the separate rope and chain drums work when you get to the chain/rope splice. I would strongly suggest a chain/rope gypsy rather that a hernia every time you use the windlass.

Below is a writeup for the Lewmar V1 I installed in the locker of my 1999 H-310 which went nicely as Hunter built in a solid FG mount for a windlass. You won't be able to copy it but you may be able to pull out something you can use.

Attachments

• Helpful
Apr 27, 2014
Catalina 30mklll Hudson, FL
I have a Catalina 30 MK3 and I recently installed a Maxwell RC8-8 windlass in my anchor locker. I constructed a shelf for mounting the windlass and attached the shelf to the existing windlass motor enclosure and side of the locker.
I have 90' of 5/16" chain with 75' of 5/8" line spliced to the chain.
It works very well and so far I am very happy with it!

DSCN3824.JPG
Before installation

DSCN3839.JPG
DSCN3840.JPG
DSCN3837.JPG

After installation

Picture1.png

Attachments

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice and neat work @CaptnDean .:clap:

How much fall do you have?
It appears your shelf raised the windlass 6" plus from the original shelf. The windlass install instructions indicate a minimum of 8" ChainFall. From experience I have found more is better.
How much chain fall have you been able to engineer?
Do you have any issues with the 90' of chain not piling freely?

Apr 27, 2014
Catalina 30mklll Hudson, FL
Thanks john. Fall distance from hawse pipe exit to the front edge of the original shelf is about 10". The distance from the hawse pipe exit to the bottom of the anchor locker is 29". Since I operate the windlass via the foot switches at the windlass location (no remote switch), I can spread the chain around if necessary while hoisting the anchor. So far it seems OK.
Most areas where I anchor here on the Florida Gulf Coast, the depth is only about 10' so I only use about 70' of chain.