Catalina 30 Tall rig conversion.

Nov 27, 2021
Catalina C30 Portland
New to forum. I have 2 Catalina 30s (long story). 1 1981 tall rig in good condition with bow sprite. 1 1984 standard rig better condition with features I like. Had 1981one for 5 years, bought 1984 this fall, end of season deal. I was wondering if anyone has tried to or has thoughts on switching the rigs, as I prefer the tall rig and have brand new 150 jib last year. Have not got the tape measure out but do not see any major differences. Thinking just switch bow sprite/bow hardware, modify wiring as they have different connectors and see no reason why it should be a problem. The port and starboard deck hardware for shrouds is slightly different but within 1/4 to 1/2 inch difference in length. Think there is enough adjustment in turnbuckles to overcome. Will end up with 2 complete serviceable boats I hope. Am I crazy? Is there a reason this should not be done?

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Are you planning on switching the keels as the tall rig also has a deeper keel ?

Nov 27, 2021
Catalina C30 Portland
I believe both tall rig and standard rig have the same draft, 5.25 ft. Fin keel. I will certainly measure to make sure. Thanks for the reply

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
You should be able to switch the tall rig for the standard. As you pointed out, you will need to change the stem fitting, bow sprit and the bob stay anchor in the bow. The hull and deck are all out of the same mold.

Nov 27, 2021
Catalina C30 Portland
Thanks Hayden, that is what I was thinking and yes, of course the bob stay. I will still measure carefully before drilling.