Catalina 30, tall rig, 1982 running rigging

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Does anyone have the lengths of main and jib halyard, Genoa sheets, main sheet, and traveler control? I can buy from Catalina Direct each one of those but maybe can get better prices by buying it from another source but need the dimensions. Thanks

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Does anyone have the lengths of main and jib halyard, Genoa sheets, main sheet, and traveler control? I can buy from Catalina Direct each one of those but maybe can get better prices by buying it from another source but need the dimensions. Thanks
Check out the West big July 4th sale through next week or so

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
I know the halyard lengths, but will need to know a few things about the traveler control lines and mainsheet set-up, the mechanical advantage, usually 4:1. We have a great rig shop and I'm sure we can beat the competition's price point. Give me call if you'd like

dave at 877-932-7245 x116, Mon-Fri, 9-4 Pacific

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The running rigging dimension charts in the owner's manual will not reflect modifications made over the years... such as leading lines aft, or change mainsheet and traveler configurations.... so I recommend you take responsibility for verifying any data given to you by your own inspection. This will save you money and frustration in the long run.

(Copied from a Boat/US article)
How Much Line Do I Need?
Halyards
Add the height of the mast, plus the length of the headstay, plus the distance to the winch, plus about 10' for tail.

Jib and Genoa Sheets
For the working jib only, you need just slightly more than the length of your boat for each sheet. For genoas, figure 1 1/2 times boat length. Placement of winches or other gear may change this.

If you have a staysail, add in some extra length to accommodate the staysail stay.

Mainsheets
Your best bet is to remove the existing sheet and measure it for a replacement, since there is so much variation in purchase ratios and attachment points along the boom.

Spinnaker Sheets
These should be two times the length of the boat, plus about 4' for both eye splices. If you use separate afterguys, they should be about 1 1/4 times boat length. Remember that winch placement and other factors may change all of these estimated lengths.

Tip: Don't be tempted to grab a sheet and press it into some other dockside duty or jury-rig for which it was not intended just because it's handy. Use another less expensive all-purpose utility line like braid-on-braid or nylon three-strand twist. Your sheets will last much longer.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Even with CD you still need to measure length as each boat can be different.
Send me a PM to remind me and I can share a chart of the specs and what I used when I get off the water tomorrow.

Jan 26, 2019
Catalina 30, mkI 2462 Waukegan, IL
I bought a replacement main halyard over the winter.

I have a standard rig. If you poke around on the CD site, then you will find the line lengths. The CD main halyard was advertised to be 112' and of sufficient length to be led back to the cockpit. The jib is a few feet longer--116'. Double check my recollection.

Shop around. Although a lot of things on CD are reasonable--I buy plenty from CD--I think you can find line less expensive elsewhere.

The 112' for the main was a perfect length--plenty of extra line but not too much to be cumbersome.

A lot of folks splice these days. This wasn't C30 OEM, a trusty bowline was. I was ready to go with a bowline. However, I had professional riggers at a boat show show me something even better--a halyard hitch. Google it--it looks great, is designed for the purpose, and is no harder to tie than a bowline.

Happy rigging!

Josh
s/v Esperanza
1982 C30, #2462, SR, Universal Diesel 5411

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
I bought a replacement main halyard over the winter.

I have a standard rig. If you poke around on the CD site, then you will find the line lengths. The CD main halyard was advertised to be 112' and of sufficient length to be led back to the cockpit. The jib is a few feet longer--116'. Double check my recollection.

Shop around. Although a lot of things on CD are reasonable--I buy plenty from CD--I think you can find line less expensive elsewhere.

The 112' for the main was a perfect length--plenty of extra line but not too much to be cumbersome.

A lot of folks splice these days. This wasn't C30 OEM, a trusty bowline was. I was ready to go with a bowline. However, I had professional riggers at a boat show show me something even better--a halyard hitch. Google it--it looks great, is designed for the purpose, and is no harder to tie than a bowline.

Happy rigging!

Josh
s/v Esperanza
1982 C30, #2462, SR, Universal Diesel 5411
Josh, thanks much for the information.

Cheers,

Mike