Catalina 30 Tachometer Engine Hours Meter

Dec 6, 2019
Catalina 30 San Francisco
On the port engine instrument panel on a 1985 Catalina 30 I am unable to read the engine hours. The only digits that are readable are the last 2 digits (the tenths and hundredths) which are not that helpful. The white highlight for the numbers are no longer there making the hours unreadable. I have taken off the rectangular Plexiglas cover, used a flashlight, magnifying glass, etc. to try to discern any numbers but have not been successful.

Short of running the engine an inordinate amount of time to make the numbers turn over (I don't believe the upcoming numbers are in any better shape) does anyone have any tips on how/where to get the engine hours?

Thx!!!
Dani

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
@DaniEastburn ,

You may be asking some different questions, so let me try to answer them.

1. How can I read an unreadable existing tach with the engine hours built in? If you can't read the numbers, there's no way I've heard of, short of taking the tach out and disassembling it to try to clean up the numbers. I simply haven't heard of anyone doing that.

2. How can I find out what the engine hours are without being able to read the hours on the instrument? Many, many, many reports indicate that the "average" hours of boat ENGINE use is around 100 hours per year. So, your best guess should start there. My boat is a 1986, I bought it when it was 12 years old with 888 engine hours. I now have 3630 in 32 years for 113 per year AVERAGE. One year I motored from SF to B.C., 165 hours for that trip alone.

3. How do I replace the broken tach? Two ways: 1] leave it in place and add a Hobbs meter (separate engine hour meter) tied into your ignition key switch; 2] replace the tach instrument in its entirety. In both cases, make a note of what you think the hours were when you started over.

Good luck.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I agree with @Stu Jackson that 100 hours a year is pretty average. Some boats get used more than others however. Our Bene is 1984 with over 6000hrs. on the meter. I use the hour meter as a maintenance tool, oil changes etc.. A well maintained diesel should run 10,000 hrs.

Mar 26, 2014
Macgregor 25 Kaw Lake Oklahoma
I have found that for hard to read , worn, or faded letters and numbers you can take a picture with an iphone and enlarge it. Results are amazing, much better than a magnifying glass. Works great on bearings and seals