Catalina 30 Running Rigging Diagram

Apr 25, 2021
Catalina 30 Belmont Harbor Chicago
Despite a lot of google search, downloading the brief owners manual, and running through multiple pages in this forum, I cannot seem to find a diagram of the running rigging. We bought a 1984 Catalina 30 Tall Rig and don't know which line goes port/starboard, to which winch, to which rope clutch, which cleat to use on the mast and for what (halyard vs boom vs reefing line?), what to use the mast winch for as both halyards go to cockpit (?spinnaker). I'm a somewhat newer day sailor, but have read most the ASA books already. Any help would be much much appreciated and thank you so much in advance.

Nov 2, 2020
Catalina 30 TRBS Chapin, SC
Despite a lot of google search, downloading the brief owners manual, and running through multiple pages in this forum, I cannot seem to find a diagram of the running rigging. We bought a 1984 Catalina 30 Tall Rig and don't know which line goes port/starboard, to which winch, to which rope clutch, which cleat to use on the mast and for what (halyard vs boom vs reefing line?), what to use the mast winch for as both halyards go to cockpit (?spinnaker). I'm a somewhat newer day sailor, but have read most the ASA books already. Any help would be much much appreciated and thank you so much in advance.
Do you have pictures of your mast, boom and cabin top?

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Here is the sail plan diagram from my owners manual. I have all 21 diagrams from the manual loaded into the "files" section of the Catalina 30 Sailboat Owners group on Facebook.

Attachments

Apr 5, 2009
I am not familier with the rigging layout on the Mk1 boats and it is very possible that yours has been modified from original. On the mk2, 1st & 2nd jib halyard are on the port double clutch and main halyard and main sheets are on starboard triple with the third clutch for spin.

Apr 25, 2021
Here is the sail plan diagram from my owners manual. I have all 21 diagrams from the manual loaded into the "files" section of the Catalina 30 Sailboat Owners group on Facebook.
WOW! thank you so much...I'll try to join the FB group.

Apr 25, 2021
I am not familier with the rigging layout on the Mk1 boats and it is very possible that yours has been modified from original. On the mk2, 1st & 2nd jib halyard are on the port double clutch and main halyard and main sheets are on starboard triple with the third clutch for spin.
Thank you. Its kinda weird. The main halyard is too short to run down to deck (had to put figure 8 and keep it connected to main) and the headsail halyard doesn't run anywhere to cockpit.

Apr 5, 2009
The early Mk1 C30's had wire halyards with Dacron tails and were controlled by winches on the mast. On the Mk2 there are no winches on the mast and all lines are Dacron lead to the cockpit. Yours is a later Mk1 and I am not sure when they got rid of the wire halyards. Over the years, most owners have converted the wire to rope.